Thread: Flicker circuit for LED-String

Question Flicker circuit for LED-String

Hi!
    I made a LED String-Blade from ultrabright LEDs a few moth ago. The blade is bright and even. just like makotos ones.. But I've one Problem with it: I doesn't flicker!! Is anyone here who made a flicker circuit for LED Strings?
    I'm a mechanic, so I don't know enough about electrics to design a circuit diagram. But I was experienced enough to built the circuit if I had one.

I was very happy, if anyone could help me!

best regards,
    Markus

Maybe I should tell you my ideas. Hope you can help me now...

I thought about a flicker-chip from a LED candle. Then I have to amplify the signal. Its a low current signal with 3V. My LED String needs 3,7V out of a Li-Ion accumulator.
    The Amplifier may work like this: LED-Flicker-Chip --> Schmitt-Trigger-->darlington Transistor--> LED-String.

The problem of this solution is, that I don't know how big the voltage drop in the darlington transistor is and that I don't have any idea which components I need exactly...

i dont think the candle flicker will look to good use a motion sensor that mite be better

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

Quote Originally Posted by thejedilestat View Post
    i dont think the candle flicker will look to good use a motion sensor that mite be better
    What's a motion sensor got to do with flickering?
    Ore no kono te ga makka ni moeru!
    Shouri wo tsukameto todoroki sakebu!
    BaaaaAAAAKUNETSU!
    GOOOOODUUU FINGAAAAAAAAAA!

I think he's saying the motion sensor for use, as in "clash flash".. the flicker is a ramping and dropping in voltage output at a very quick rate. but ive seen a few threads about it try the search or ill find it and post you the link
    ~dave

I think the Hyperdyne 2.0 driver board was just finished and probably has flicker features for LED string blades. It's probably meant to interface to a specific LED ladder type of setup though.

You could also use a Crystal Focus board, or Ultrasound board with a complex FET circuit driver to up the power high enough for LED strings to accomplish your goal. Not as simple, but probably effective.

How many LED's in your string and how are they soldered? What is their forward voltage at the current you want to run? What is that current?
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
    - Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!

Hi!
    thank you a lot for all your replies!
    The hyperdyne board was my idea too, but I don't think it will work that easy! Its designed to drive a segmented LED blade. I don't know how many segments it has and how the LEDs are connected...
    So my blade is made from one single segment-If I wanted to use the hyperblade-module, I've to amplify the outputsignal of one channel ( this is what you meant)
    But I don't think, that in my graflex is enough space to put in this additional part....
    I don't need clash- or scrolling-effects. I just want a movielike flickering in my blade....
    How can this be done the easiest way?

Thank you a lot!