Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: PEX

Hey guys, thanks for the warm re-welcome

PEX pipe is the same material or pretty close (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc...yethylene.aspx) to what Tim sell here as the diffuser for the EL blades. The only difference is that you want the straight and larger thing for your LED saber. It is just a white pipe that's translucent, not clear. It looks like this:

The writing on it is a bit nasty and embedded somewhat into the pipe material, so even cleaning it out with acetone will leave some marks behind. Sanding it might make it better, but this material doesn't sand very well, so it won't be that pretty. Again, this is not a replacement to the PolyC pipe, not by a long stretch. It just makes for a good, cheap, practice blade. Also, don't forget it is not 1", only .875", so it won't be interchangeable with your PolyC. You will need to build a copper coupler holder saber to use this pipe.
    Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

i know im going to give this a try but being 200km away from a hardwear store makes it a little hard lol

thank you

Will it fit in the thinwalled polyC blades?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Hasid

I actually just tried that yesterday. It fits like a GLOVE. perfect fit.
    I'm going to order a new Poly blade soon, and then make this dual tube design to see how light and durable it is. I'm more aggresive on the PEX as it is more flexable than the Poly, but perhaps the duo will be quite a good Battle blade.

hum sounds intresting. when you get pics post them up.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

ok i picked up some cellophane yesterday but to my shock and dissapointment my Daughters Father(me and my wife adopted her from him) used the PVC for pluming to water some trees in the back yard

so i am out of it for 2 weeks tell i go to town next

should i use a double rap or a quad rap for the PVC blade?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

For the cellophane? 4 feet or more. If you plan on just the cellophane I'd say 6 at least. Note this is feet, not wraps.

If you have some of Corbin's film use less. With a double wrap of Corbin's I use 40".
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I've been working on some PVC kiddie sabers, and I thought I would try the PEX for the blades. I found some at Home Depot that was just a little bigger than 1" OD, so I bought it, thinking that I would just sand it down to 1".

What a waste of time and money!

I spent a half hour sanding it down, and making it fit. I taped a small mirror onto the end, just to try it. When I put it in my saber with the P4, it lit up, but not very brightly. A few feet of cellophane helped a little, but it was still pretty dim. When I put it in the saber with the royal blue lux 3, I couldn't see it at all.

Apparently, from the photos above, the results are better with the 3/4" pipe, but I just wanted to warn other people not to use the 1" stuff.

I'll try the smaller stuff, if you folks tell me it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie View Post
    I've been working on some PVC kiddie sabers, and I thought I would try the PEX for the blades. I found some at Home Depot that was just a little bigger than 1" OD, so I bought it, thinking that I would just sand it down to 1".

What a waste of time and money!

I spent a half hour sanding it down, and making it fit. I taped a small mirror onto the end, just to try it. When I put it in my saber with the P4, it lit up, but not very brightly. A few feet of cellophane helped a little, but it was still pretty dim. When I put it in the saber with the royal blue lux 3, I couldn't see it at all.

Apparently, from the photos above, the results are better with the 3/4" pipe, but I just wanted to warn other people not to use the 1" stuff.

I'll try the smaller stuff, if you folks tell me it's worth it.
    Did your sanding make the letters go away?
    WHAT THE %*#& IS AN ALUMINIUM FALCON?!