Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quick Qustion MR sound with 5w

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

like x said, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. just sell the mr board and buy a crystal focus saber core board. you'll be happier!

BLUE 3- Ready

Its funny you should say that a 5v reg gets hot. It doesnt if its wired correctly. Putting it across 9v doesnt make it more than warm under normal operation, its only if you start actually using serious amounts of current through it that it starts to warm up.

If you drive your luxeon (either 3 or 5w) seperately then the regulator is only supplying power to drive the sound. A 1A reg is more than sufficient to do this with no heatsink whatsoever. Next time I have cause to open up my mace conversion I'll take a few pics of the inside.

For me its a relatively simple mod but then again I know a fair bit about circuitry. I dropped both the diodes out on the mace and reworked the pack to be proper 9v, then fitted the 5v regulator to protect the circuitry while still having the 9v available to drive the led. The led resistor gets quite warm as its disapating a fair amount of current but the regulator doesnt.

It does increase the quiescent current somewhat but I can live with that as its less than a CFv1 or 2 used to draw anyway and fitting a kill switch stops it being a factor.
    Phil Higgins

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't like V's but I'm going by Nova's original Flange that used an MR to power a K2 with 7.2V of li-ions. From what Nova said... it got hot.

If it were my saber I wouldn't futz with the V and MR sound anyway. Too much hassle.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I just got my shipment today of parts, I think I may just wire it up normally with the simple kit and order a Ultrasound when/if they become avalible again. Aside from my Garflex thumbscrew not working with the blade holder I got it is gonna look pretty good.

Stay tuned for pics!

And just to be sure, the 5w lux will run ok off a single 9v Battery as well as the 6 double A's right? It ran and lit no problem but I wanted to prevent any long term damage. Plus Im suprised that the 5w isnt really any brighter then my other two 3w sabers...

Im having trouble with the 6 AA holder, once I get my pommel fully screwd together the saber shuts off...

Anywho I know Im being a post whore about all this but you guys have been great.