1 0.86%
  • JudgeSaberSmith (Light Side)

0 0%
  • JudgeSaberSmith EP VI ROTJ

4 3.45%
  • PredatorSaber v2.0

2 1.72%
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: CF Sound Fonts by Novastar & CF OWNERS!! :)

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

I got an idea. a transformers one. transform sound for power up/power down. Kind of a weird data transfer sound for clash (like I heard in the movies) I'm not sure how to describe it.

BLUE 3- Ready

That might be better for one of Erv's upcoming blasters (unknown as to when or if, btw)... but I had indeed thought about that...

Problem is... there are only so many ways you can go with it, unless it's basically a "kung fu" martial arts style with a transform up / transform down thing.

Also--I don't know if I would go with the "old" transform noises from the TV series/80's movie, or with the "new" ones.

I haven't seen the new movie yet, btw, so--bugger me, huh...!!!!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Ok... the "Force Effects" package is pretty much complete.

Erv still hasn't had time to upload my Episode II & Episode IV fonts, so be patient with him. He'll have more time after he gets out all the 2.61 boards to those who ordered, and updates the manual with the new parameters/descriptions.

I'm trying to complete a few other fonts, but my schedule is about to go back to "insane" as it always does as September/October rolls around. But, things to look forward to:

* "Inferno" font (some kind of flame weapon)
    * Whip font (Indiana Jones fans, eat your heart out)
    * Some kind of "Zen" font... I sure hope to give Jonitus what he's looking for, but if I'm unable to do so, I've always had a sort of "nature/mystical" font in mind
    * Super Mario meets Zelda meets Final Fantasy, etc. -- this will actually be harder than I first imagined, as it might be lame to "stick" with some old NES theme... I'm going to try to envelope all the years past and present of some good well-known games, but... I ain't making 30 different fonts for this!!

Again, BOP & the sound fonts really need your support! I rarely ask for major support from friends, family, or anyone else, but... this is one time in my life I need it the most! Even $1 or $5 can make a GIGANTIC difference in what can be done for BOP III, future BOPs, and as a general thanks for the sound fonts...

Finally, if any of you want the EP II, EP IV or "Force Effects" packages earlier--and you can't wait until Erv posts them on his site... just e-mail or message me.

Peace...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

More updates...

I've been working on improving the Blackstar & Novastar fonts, as well as looking very closely at controlling the dynamic range of sounds given our purposes. The real problem here is that there are SO many little speakers out there, and not all are created equal. Additionally, some sounds contain more bass while others do not.

For our purposes, bass can be the enemy. Unfortunate, but... sometimes true, depending on the sounds!

Additionally, the flame font is coming along, and I've updated the Kung Fu "hum" sound to loop a bit longer and not be so annoying with the "auto-whacks" that you hear.

* Force choke/grip is now created...
    * An entire "blaster sequence" has been created...
    * Ancient Saber finally gets its own *matching* "force" and "blaster" sounds...
    * Zen font is going to be a tough one, but I know it'll be a beauty when I figure it out, hopefully with Jon!!
    * Made some "nostalgic" Super Mario sounds along with music from Zelda, Metroid, Mario, and other games we've all heard of from long ago or recently...
    * Menu option sounds that both describe the font and mix a sound FROM the font with it... nice!

I imagine with the new run of v2.61 boards, people will have a BLAST with being able to setup all sorts of sound choices...

I've posted ep II and IV sound fonts on the website. I have to totally redo and remix ancient saber with the new sounds, I have to find some time for that.
    Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Man, those sounds are NIIIIICE!!!!! You really outdid yourself here, Nova

I found THE hum for the Zen font. In all the places, it's on a music CD I was listening to as I was driving back from lunch. I need to grab a sample and play with it a bit, but it's the right tone, the right pitch, the right feeling.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I'm trying to come up with a saber design unique/personal enough to be worth making and worthy of buttered toast. In the meantime I've had a crazy idea of making a Star Trek sound font for erv's board. I was thinking of the engine 'throbing' pulsing sound for the hum, with maybe warp noises for power up/down.
    It requires more thinking and finding suitable sample sounds, but it might be crazy enough to work

Edit: Turns out tractor beam sounds are darn near perfect for power on, hum and power off. I think this is do-able
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus
    I found THE hum for the Zen font. In all the places, it's on a music CD I was listening to as I was driving back from lunch. I need to grab a sample and play with it a bit, but it's the right tone, the right pitch, the right feeling.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...
    Awesome Jon, that is great to hear... let me know if you want me to send you anything I've come up with as well. One thing is for certain... if I can't come up with something to help you, I will at LEAST make a sort of "Zen Nature" font or whatever... you know, something peaceful, mystical... although it may not really sound like an "SW" saber.

Personally, my entire direction is to help exploit the variety of ways CF can be used... after all... there are only SO many sounds Ben Burtt made for swings and clashes, and they all tend to sound the same to me after a while.

As it is--my Episode II font (although it's ok)... is nothing special to me. I like the EP IV one--it's more distinguishable to the Obi v. Vader days. Ep II had some really weird "plonky" saber swings and the clashes seemed to be a mixture.

I'd like to hear people's comments about what they think the differences are from EP I-III. Also, I really didn't notice all THAT much difference from EP V to EP VI in terms of saber sounds other than the ignition noise everyone likes--the "piercing" one.

Force effects package... coming soon!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Personally I like the generics you have made. Getting too specific is pointless like you say. They are all so similar.

There is a point where you are splitting hairs on the amount of DISTINGUISHABLE tone and speed differences there are to make different fonts.
    RED LEADER Standing by!