1 0.86%
  • JudgeSaberSmith (Light Side)

0 0%
  • JudgeSaberSmith EP VI ROTJ

4 3.45%
  • PredatorSaber v2.0

2 1.72%
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: CF Sound Fonts by Novastar & CF OWNERS!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar
    I'll do my best, but... don't really know what a moderator does other than keep the peace... :D And in general, mostly only COOL people who don't begin fights post here.
    On the boards I moderate on the entirety of the job is to spambust and once a year or two step in when an argument is getting a little too personal :)

OK, I'm scarfing sounds from Time Shift..

Rain v1
    Rain v2 - Slowed
    Rain v3 - Normal

Games like Time Shift and Bioshock are using a new sound format called FMOD (.FSB filename extensions). I can extract the sound wav files but they are compressed. I'm still looking for a utility to uncompress them.
    -Del
    Kicked out of the Sith Order for being too chipper!
    My website - http://buttrynet.dyndns.org

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    That's logical... unless someone says something that's just all sorts of awesome that'll do.

I noticed at the FX-sabers site Vortex suggested a rain font. It sounded more like a soothing let's go to sleep suggestion, but that got my brain rumbling.

What about a Kamino font? It would totally sound like the battle of Obi vs. Jango. Rain sizzling on the blade, lightning maybe in the background. Missile fire as the force effect.

Retraction could be Slave One lifting off before the blade sound. I like this...
    exatly. I didn't want something soothing. but a storm with clashes as thunder cracks. you know.

BLUE 3- Ready

Del... just saving them as a .wav format will technically "uncompress" them.

Unfortunately, mp3 is a "lossy" format, meaning--data IS indeed dumped to the wayside. So... you can't get back what is already lost... if the game STARTED with compressed sounds... that's it.

One thing you can do though, is convert it to a .wav or uncompressed format PRIOR to any alteration and you won't FURTHER lose quality. Basically, work with a sound in its purest form ya got... tweak it, cut it, stretch it, pitch shift, blah blah, and when you've got what you want... THEN save a compressed version.

The beauty of compression for sound (and graphics) is... once you HAVE a "solid" file... compressing it really doesn't kill any of its quality audibly (if you do it right). ONLY if you start adjusting, mixing, tweaking an mp3 for example... will it start to really lose audible quality.

Del may already know the above... but I am sharing with all so that future sound-makers remember it. Erv mentions this in his PDF too: work with .raw or .wav FIRST... THEN compress.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I only save them in mp3 format to post here for the general user community.

These appear to be compressed WAV before they are compiled into the .FSB files. When they are extracted, they come out as .WAV files but will not play in WMP. I tried importing them via different sampling rates and types but they still have a hiss to them.

I tried to convert them to RAW and OGG with CEP and Goldwave but they didn't like that at all.

I read online that others are having the same issues.

I'll post one of the .FSB files if you want to play with one.
    -Del

Novastar I was on FXSabers forum and heard a "Lo Wang" demo where there is a Chinese voice saying "there can be only one" and that gave me an idea for your consideration [dont have a CF to try it myself...yet...sometime after Xmas I hope]...

Howzabout a HIGHLANDER [the original not the inferior sequels] sound font for CF?

One could have 'swooshing' through the air and clashing steel sword sounds, maybe for the 'lockup' sound one could have Lamberts voice saying "There can be only One!", maybe a "Quickening" sound for the blaster bolt or force push?

Maybe some Queen too...I'm thinking "Here we are, born to be Kings!" for the activation? and "who wants to live forrrreverrrrrrr" for the deactivation?

Just an idea...

This is getting crazy but I like it.

I just cant stand waiting to start buiding more customs after I finish my first one and using cf boards , oh well good things come to those who wait.
    "aaah... general kenobi.... you are a bold one."-general grievous

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qymaen_jai_sheelal

Proud owner of the first two Darth Maul conversion kits! Thanks Tim!

I was thinking about renting a couple of the Highlander movies and doing some sound captures to see if I could get some good ones..
    -Del

hey novastar I just finished my first sound font. It needs some tweaking though. If i send it to you, can you clean it up a bit for me? swings are a bit too quiet and theres an odd sound right before power off, maybe you could do something about that?
    anyways let me know if you will have a listen and see if you can fix it up a bit for me.

thanks
    a wise man once said "dont try to be a great man....just be a man"

Quote Originally Posted by pipster79
    hey novastar I just finished my first sound font. It needs some tweaking though. If i send it to you, can you clean it up a bit for me? swings are a bit too quiet and theres an odd sound right before power off, maybe you could do something about that?
    anyways let me know if you will have a listen and see if you can fix it up a bit for me.

thanks
    I would love to hear it... I can't promise to fix anyone's fonts, but I can give as much help as I can give. BOP III is taking up a lot of my time, and I have to focus more on it.

BUT, with that being said--some help for people with volume issues, and strange sounds:

1. Volume issues. Use a "normalize/maximize" volume tool. Try using a compressor/expander utility... reduce "peaks" by making a hard cut of all volumes over a certain level. Try normalizing again. Repeat if needed... but don't use it too much.

2. Odd sounds. Popping, clicking, "chirping" and so forth in between transitions are almost always attributable to the beginning of any sound being too harsh, or not starting at the "zero-crossing point". To remedy this, try using a *very brief* "fade in" to the sound--maybe fading in only a maximum of 0.10 seconds... if not less! Sometimes, this will reduce pops & clicks.

However--it will be nearly impossible to remove ALL clicks and pops when sounds transition on CF v1 through v3, because you never know when one sound will "pre-empt" another due to swing, clash and whatever detection. Not every sound always "ends" before transitioning to the next!! So... the best you can do... is keep the waveform SMALL and "low" at the beginning and end of most all sounds.

I know that's a mouthful... but... it's hard to explain sound in words. I hope it helps!!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide