Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Blanking Cap Switch Covers

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur
    Ok..I will get something going. Now is the time to submit your design ideas if you have any requests.
    knurled... like this:

"Coin edge" like this on the graflex thumbscrew:

Then a plain one, perhaps larger.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    I'd like them already drilled... those tiny things are just asking for an accident. I've already marred my hands enough.

Yeah, we know how well you and drill bits get along...

Don't do this:

The black line on the inset is ROUGHLY where my skin is torn. This is much cleaner too. I had to push a pea size bit of meat back in when it first happened.[]
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Maybe a Cone knob for luke rotj V2s for the switch cover.

something like this
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Seems like a simple way of approaching a functional graflex-type button would be to machine a custom nut rather than a cap. As for possible caps, something resembling a thumbscrew would be nice, or a modified glass eye. I have also liked xwings suggestions.

I like the size of the rotary one on the MR maul, but Knurled please Tim!

I like X's ideas, but I must have a knurled for mine!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke-SkyMarcher
    I like the rotary switch because there is absolutely no way you can accidentally turn it off in a duel, unlike pushbutton switches.
    For me, the ideal prequel red button switch would be a one that you first had to rotate before it would be possible to push it.

knurled... like this:
    I would prefer a good replica of the real button. The real one had female knurling, i.e. the negative of what you posted.
    If it was good and accurate, I would probably buy a few just to replace inaccurate ones I have on some static sabers of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender
    Seems like a simple way of approaching a functional graflex-type button would be to machine a custom nut rather than a cap.
    A real Graflex button, or a good replica, is already functional. It has a disc that gets pressed down to make contact with two leads which completes the circuit. You could also place a switch under the button that gets pressed on.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lars
    knurled... like this:
    I would prefer a good replica of the real button. The real one had female knurling, i.e. the negative of what you posted.
    If it was good and accurate, I would probably buy a few just to replace inaccurate ones I have on some static sabers of mine.
    I wasn't looking for a full blanking cap replica... it's just a cap to cover our switches that would look like it. Being as it is a functional thing a fully accurate blasting cap would do us no good... as it's essential just a screw?

Are some of us talking in two directions... the functional screws and stuff seen on the sabers OR the switch add-on I was thinking of?

I always get confused on the knurling of negative vs. positive... no where ever shows a danged picture either as I'm sure it's probably obvious, but my mind can't grasp it by description alone.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I'm thinking switch cover.

I wasn't looking for a full blanking cap replica... it's just a cap to cover our switches that would look like it. Being as it is a functional thing a fully accurate blasting cap would do us no good... as it's essential just a screw?
    I was still thinking of switch covers. Personally, I'd rather have replicas with buttons that I can push or turn than simple thumbscrews. I want my items to look and feel like they belong to the Star Wars universe, not like they belong to a movie set.

If you want to attach one over a tapped hole then it would not be difficult to glue it onto a headless screw -- and there you would have a thumbscrew!
    The button stalks were never seen on the real props anyway.
    Just don't miss the opportunity to make the visible part of the buttons accurate if you can.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Cool! We are completely on the same page then.

Got any pictures of "accurate"? Both my Parks' are different and without Romans... I'm not sure where one could find a replica out there.
    RED LEADER Standing by!