Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New idea for blade diffusion?

Default New idea for blade diffusion?

I have been testing some various ways to diffuse blades based on some info I have gleaned from others on these sites and decided to try a combo of a couple different methods.

OK, 1st off, I'm using a stock 1/16 MR blade with a thinwalled Ultra blade tip on top.

I heard that if you sand the outside of the blade, that can be a "poorman's" diffusion, so to speak. I tried that, with less than ideal results. I found that if you sand up and down the blade, it gives a more uniform glow, but if you sand sideways, ala Corbin's film, you get a makeshift blade coring effect.

For this experiment, my blade is using the up and down sanding, but I might try sanding it to see what the coring looks like with my final result.

Once I had sanded the blade evenly with 400 grit sandpaper(I tried 800, but it was too fine and didn't catch the light as well), I tried a makeshift method of diffusion: wax paper. Again, less than ideal. Very large base flare, and it bulbs quite a bit at the top. I didn't even bother with pics for this. Looked pretty cruddy, but at least you couldn't see thru the blade anymore.

Now for my second experiment, I tried a couple ft of Ultra's film, and wow! I can't believe my eyes!

It is perfectly even from base to tip. Extremely bright, and slightly frosty in effect, but still much brighter than any blade diffusion I have seen thus far.

But the most impressive and unbelievable feature I found from this was that you cannot see the wall of the blade. By this, I mean that the "laser beam" starts at the surface of the blade, with no indication whatsoever of the plastic wall that normally "contains" the blade within. It really looks like a beam of light.

I took some pics of all 3 of my blade styles(Corbin quad wrap in thickwall, Ultra's film in thickwall, and my experiment in the MR blade with Ultra's thinwall tip and 2 ft of Ultra's film)

I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

Corbin, day setting, medium flash:

Corbin, night setting, medium flash:

Corbin, night setting, lowest flash:

Ultra, day setting, medium flash

Ultra, night setting, medium flash:

Ultra, night setting, lowest flash:

And here's my experiment, day setting, medium flash:

Mine, Night setting medium flash:

And mine again, night setting, lowest flash:

As you can see, there are no indications of the plastic wall as the light emanates from the surface or the plastic itself. Also, you will notice that it has the LEAST amount of base and tip flair, regardless of the camera setting used.

Now I contructed this blade in less than ideal settings, so there is contamination in the blade and the sanding could be a little more even, but I think this at least proves it is a feasible and do-able concept.

Let me know what you think.

Thats funny as just from looking at your pics the ultra blade has the least amount of base flare and tip bulbing. Its also the most evenly lit with yours coming between Corbins and Ultras.
    Phil Higgins

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

So the one you like experimenting with is a sanded blade with Ultra film? and you like it because the it makes the light seem more like it's coming from the surface?

If so I have many suggestions... sanding does suck. It's a bit of work and often uneven. I'd suggest getting Krylon Matte Spray. This is by far the easiest for immitating the sanding, and it's easy to get. Another possibility would be find a place that would sand/beadblast the blade... I still want to try that.

Also another idea I tried briefly that is that same aim is 1" 1/16" walled nylon. Then throw in any blade film to even out the blemishes of the nylon... it has the blade surface eminating and is tremendously even.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I'm planning on sanding one of my blades as well, I like the appearance of the blade looking more like a solid beam of energy, not a light inside a tube.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

My Dad and I sanded our blades using 800 grit wet sand paper in the bathtub. Definitely made a difference in the looks of the blade to me.

Quote Originally Posted by neophyl
    Thats funny as just from looking at your pics the ultra blade has the least amount of base flare and tip bulbing. Its also the most evenly lit with yours coming between Corbins and Ultras.
    Trust me, my blade is far more even than the Ultra. Pics annot do it justice, but simply look at my day setting pics, as mine has a near even color from top to bottom, while the others have a noticeable base flair. This is really evident in person.

@ X-Wing-I'm def open to suggestion, but I might not be the guy to implement them. I have less than ideal settings and tools. I just thought it was a neat experiment and hope to inspire someone with more resources and experience than myself to give it that polished, proffessional feel to it. I will say this is easily the best way to diffuse a blade that I've ever seen, though I still want to see a Erv style dual film blade before I commit to that statement.

No offense but I don't think it looks that good. Anyway all new things have to start somewhere.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

What doesn't look good about it? I thought it photo'd real well.

I mean i don't care that much for the day setting. Doesn't look lit enough to me.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.