Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5 watt compared to 3 watt Red?

Default 5 watt compared to 3 watt Red?

Hey all, I just got my Cyan 5 watt LED (looks more green wich is sweet ) and I was looking at it today and it seems about on par with my 3 watt greens. Is this right? Im running it off 6 AA and with a resistor. Could it be low batteries? I know that 3 watt reds should be on par, but my Cyan kinda seems disapoitning right now.
    Blue 4 "Im hit!"

Try some new batteries. Hopefully that's all it is. Just as a precaution check to make sure your wiring is good and that you have the right resistor. You may have to go up to 8AAs or buy a new resistor or something. Hope I could help.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

make sure your soldering connections are really good. on my ani conversion, they weren't the best, and after re-doing them, it increased brightness by 50%
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

I have good confidence in this soldering job :P . Now that its night time I se it a bit brighter. I do need the correct resistor, I just got the basic kit and it came with the "basic" resistor and its not reaching its full potential. It still kicks major butt tho, I love it
    Blue 4 "Im hit!"

I can't say for 5-watters, and I don't know what bin yours is from, but the lux III cyan are known to look green when not powered to their full potential.

If you haven't configure your power pack/driver/whatever correctly, even a higher lumens LED won't look as bright as a correctly configured lower brightness one.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

you could always try reconfiguring your resistor to overdrive the LED a bit, but that is at your discretion as it can prematurely deteriorate the LED
    FSM What's on your belt?

IS your power switch on the positive side of the line and not inbetween both pos and neg?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

hey i have the same issue, (not brightness)
    my 5w cyan is very green, and it looks stupid in my graflex luke anh
    is there a way to make it more blue? or is it because it is a higher bin #?
    i can try to re configure, but it wont do much, and i followed the basic led wiring diagram...

id love it to be more blue if anyone has a trick or idea, thanks.

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djbordie
    id love it to be more blue if anyone has a trick or idea, thanks.
    buy a blue led.

BLUE 3- Ready

lol great answer, isnt blue - too blue for luke anh?