Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My saber design Concept

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I likee number 3, and I think it would look good with Green.
    this just doesn't strike me as a "red".

Good overall design, looks like it will be pretty well balanced.

Ok, i'd go for number 3, but i'd have the slots 4 different sizes, longest at the emitter, & powder coat the main pieces grooves.

But that's just me.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

I think your #2 looks pretty good. (Dear lord, please don't let anyone laugh at that statement.) Honestly I don't think you need to worry about any details on the shroud. Those little slots would be a bear to cut out, especially if this is your first saber. All I would suggest is maybe shortening them a bit. It looks like they stick out about two inches beyond the emitter, and I think they would look fine at about half that length. You used pretty much all the same parts on your saber as I did on mine, so if you want to see a 3-d rendering of it I'm sure I could whip one out in just a few minutes after I get home from work. Cheers!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

What are you making your guards out of? Sink tube? Or something more substantial? I don't see any mention of it anywhere.

If you're using sink tube, I would also suggest that you make them a little shorter. Also, I've heard people say that sink tubes have a tendency to want to flatten out when you cut them open. If that's true, just screwing your pieces on in the middle won't work.

And yeah, trying to cut slots like that would be hard.

You are also going to have to grind down the curve on your Covertec knob, since it's made to fit against a curved hilt and you are putting it against the flat pommel side. You might be better off just using the stock knob that comes with the Covertec clip. Even though it's black, it's already flat.

I do like the overall design. Do the "Indicator" LEDs actually indicate anything (other than the saber being turned on)? Like power level or something? Or are they really just "Accent" LEDs?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I prefer the Black covertec. Having it all one colour seems bland, so i'd go with the stock one, especially if you are attaching to a flat panel, but it's up to you.

As for the slots, I can't see them being too hard to cut, just take your time on them.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Yea Timerender, my guards are 2 inches past the emitter. I was thinking of shortening them. And I would love to see a 3D rendering.

Yea after posting the pic with the lots on the guards I thought more on how hard it would be to make em so now Im sticking with them plain anyways I really like how they look plain. Im still not decided on what grip section to use. but I do like #2 oh well

As for waht the guards are made of I havent really thought of that. I was thinking just cutting a MHS aluminum section like that. There has to be a way. Cuz I want them to curve with the blade holder.

You can have tim make you the shrouds.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Just to reemphasize what I said before, as someone who has worked with sinktube, YES Barmic, the slots would be difficult to cut, and Hasid there isn't much point in having tim make them for Braxus if they are just quartered sink tube.

Now, as I promised earlier, here are a few 3d renderings of your saber. I apologize for the way the emitter shows through the shrouds a little, I made the shrouds too thin and Rhino can be a little glitchy. No worries though.

The first four pics show the shroud at full length Braxus. The look actually grew on me a little bit, although I'm sure I would change my mind once I actually saw it in person. The shroud on my saber was originally going to be about an inch and a half, and I trimmed it back a lot farther after seeing how it would actually look. The last pic shows the difference between the shroud sticking out two inches and only one inch.

I drew these pics up using the stock dimensions for the slotted extension piece rather than your custom length. If you decide to have Tim make you a shorter version, just use your imagination while looking at these pics.

I did notice a small problem with your design, however. One of your indicator lights will actually get in the way of the threading from the m/m adapter. If you thought it would look ok with only one light, your problem would disappear. Alternatively, you might put the recharge port on one side of the saber and the two lights on the other. This would move everything down a little in the hilt so that it cleared the threads.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Braxus

As for waht the guards are made of I havent really thought of that. I was thinking just cutting a MHS aluminum section like that. There has to be a way. Cuz I want them to curve with the blade holder.
    Cutting up an MHS piece would be a waste. Plus, the ID of the piece wouldn't fit over the OD of the blade holder.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender
    Just to reemphasize what I said before, as someone who has worked with sinktube, YES Barmic, the slots would be difficult to cut, and Hasid there isn't much point in having tim make them for Braxus if they are just quartered sink tube.
    TimeRender, he never said he was making the shrouds out of sink tube (see first quote), that's what I assumed since it would fit over the blade holder, so that's why I asked.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Oops, you caught me Loreen. I guess I just assumed as well. At any rate it's still the best material to use for these shrouds, in my opinion anyway. I saved a few brass scraps from the cutouts on my shroud and never noticed any flattening, so I think you should be ok Braxus if you decide to try it this way.