Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Proto-saber (completed9/10/07)

I guess my computer glitched for a moment. I see the pic now. Back to topic.
    What about modding the design? Have a blade holder over the crystal. Fix the saber so the crystal is lit up when it's on. The crystal would then have the look of generating the blade. Don't know if that's specific enough. That's a way I could see using both at once.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

I would build it as a normal saber with all the LED workings and power source in the hilt....then use EL to run in the "power" cable like in the pic(use clear tubing with a single strand of EL)...and put the EL power source and such in the pack on your hip......then you can see when you turn the "power pack" on your hip on the EL wire lights up....the you can turn on the saber....kind of like "powering up" the saber before you send the energy to the crystal....

And IMHO i would use a blade for dueling but make a 1" "crystal holder" and have a large clear crystal mounted in it to put in it while its on your hip.

"Life tests you! Everyday it brings new chances for triumph or defeat.
    And if you pass the test, it doesn't make you a Jedi. It makes you human."

-Qui-Gon Gin

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn
    That thought occurred to me as well, after I posted that. A large enough crystal could be drilled out to accept a blade through the crystal....you could probably use a 3/4" blade a little easier than a 1", though.
    Thats what I was gonna say but I had an idea is you have someone make something as solid as mhs aluminum bladeholders but look like a crystal right. then you make a blade plug that will finish off the look of a crystal like it is up there but when you got a blade in it it looks like a crystal with a blade comming off of it. Like its comming out of the crystal.

Maybe a altered style 1 bladeholder and use some sculpting around it then get someone whoes a damn good painter and make it look really cool.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

The crystal part is the easy part, its only the main body of the saber that would be hard unless you use clay or something.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

1.25 sinktube with alot of sculpting.

You could do a sink tube I suppose but it would take ALOT of work to mod and sculpt the tube. If you do the proto saber post some pics and tell us what you did incase someone wants to make a proto or something similar. If you don't mind I'd just like to know once you get done.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

not really theres some kinda sculpting compound like clay but it bonds to metal and you can even drill and tap the stuff and its strong as hell.

forget what its called thou. ALW uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre
    not really theres some kinda sculpting compound like clay but it bonds to metal and you can even drill and tap the stuff and its strong as hell.

forget what its called thou. ALW uses it.
    bondo?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Lots of good ideas. My father in law owns an engraving business, so I'm gonna go ransack his supplier list and see if I any of them might either make a resin cast, or have huge block of acrylic i can futz with. I do think I'll go with the 3/4 inch blade, just to make it that much easier.

I really like the idea of EL wire in a clear tube.

Anyway, I got started on it last night. so far it's a
    1.5 inch sink tube, with a 1.24 stuffed inside and held in place with poly washers. I'll post some "in progress" pictures later.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You don't want to put EL wire inside a clear tube without some kind of diffuser, if it's for a blade, because it will just look like lit up wire inside a tube.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!