Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Proto-saber (completed9/10/07)

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Default Proto-saber (completed9/10/07)

Has anyone ever built an OLD republic protosaber, with the belt pack?
    I've always liked those, although I don't know why.

I'm thinking about building one, with all the drivers and batteries in the belt pack, leaving room in the actual hilt for other embellishments such as a visible lighted crystal.

Would be pritty cool. To add to it I would use someting like steal braided lines to protect the wires going to the saber from teh pack.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'd thought of it. I think it could be really neat. I wouldn't actually try to remove all the stuff out...

I was thinking a stereo plug to a battery pack on the belt. If you tried to move it all out in a more complex setup more connects might be needed. Like wiring a DIN plug wouldn't be too fun.

Just being a power source too means you can make a static wall wart powered base.

I'm not a fan of the exposed crystal look of the true "proto" sabers. Nothing saying you can't make a more than a rock look without the prequel look though.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre
    Would be pritty cool. To add to it I would use someting like steal braided lines to protect the wires going to the saber from teh pack.
    That's what I was thinking, and I like Xwing's idea of a stereo jack.

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    I'm not a fan of the exposed crystal look of the true "proto" sabers. Nothing saying you can't make a more than a rock look without the prequel look though.
    I was thinking that when in "duel mode" i'd remove the crystal and put in the blade, but for "show", put the crystal in place. If that makes sense.

Why not have it fixed so you can put the crystal in a chasis to protect it when you dual. I would suggest a chasis like madcow's. You would still be able to dual with it on the outside and possibly not have to worry much. Another way for the crystal you may want to go is have a "holding chamber" somewhere on the hilt you can put the crystal when you're dualing. Just some ideas.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

on the protosaber, the crystal is exposed with no emitter, so I'm not sure of a way to have the crystal and a blade at the same time, in the same location. I remember seeing somewhere on here somebody had a crystal chamber in the hilt, with cut out windows so it was visible.

as for now, I'm not planning on it looking as organic as the pic above. will be much more utilitarian, for lack of a better term.

*picture from thelightsaber.com

The picture didn't go through. At least it didn't on my computer. Here's a pic for you.

There's a pic of the protosaber for you. Hope it helps you some anyway.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

That's the exact picture he posted, it came up fine on my computer. I think it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how you would go about using a blade with the crystal at the same time either.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Ohhh Idea!!! How about making a resin cast of a crystal. Then drill through the center 1" you could then glue the blade in the resin crystal and fit it easily in an emmiter? hows that for an idea?
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

That thought occurred to me as well, after I posted that. A large enough crystal could be drilled out to accept a blade through the crystal....you could probably use a 3/4" blade a little easier than a 1", though.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.