Thread: Wrapping Blades

Default Wrapping Blades

Xwing's quad wrap thread reminded me of a general question I had, and rather than derail the other thread I thought I'd post a new one that could possibly be added to the FAQ or Thread index.

After that extremely lengthy sentence here's the question: How exactly do you get the film in the blade? Do you wrap it around a rod or dowel and then just stick it up in the blade?

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

yup, corbins film you will have to unrole and then reroll lenghtwise. ultra's come pre rolled.

BLUE 3- Ready

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I just unroll it from the way Tim ships it. Then at one end I use my finger to roll it... being extremely cautious about rolling it and not just making a cone! then push it up as far as I can. I then go to the other end and use my finger to wrap it also. That is what tightens it enough to push the rest of the way.

I remember Corbin saying he used a dowel and tape... maybe I'm doing it less than ideal. My fingers are too fat because that 3/4" quad-wrap was a pain... Doubles and single wraps are easy as pie though.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Cool, thanks for the response guys.. I think I'll be trying out a quad-wrap of Corbin's film when I go to order some more stuff from TCSS

Default Blade wrap seam

I removed the corbin wrap to remove dust. When I reinserted, there is a seam. I can't figure out a way to get the two ends of the sheet to match perfectly so no seam shows. Any tips? Many thanks!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There is supposed to be a seam. You can try to cut the excess but it's somewhat difficult to do... mostly a bit of guess work to nail it perfectly.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I dont have a problem rolling up my double. I would imagen I could do it easyer with more than a double.

there needs to be some overlap, if the seams met perfectly it would be highly visible
    FSM What's on your belt?

Using a dowel rod to roll up the Corbin film seems to work best for me, especially when using double, triple or quad wraps. I also use the dowel rod method for rolling up the cellophane gift wrap, though that usually requires a larger dowel to produce the larger roll of film.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.