Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: heat sinking

Blog Entries

thermal paste. Radio shack has generic thermal paste or you can go real expensive and buy Artic Silver

http://www.arcticsilver.com/

Silicon grease would be a bad idea. I would also recommend lapping the heatsink. http://www.overclockersclub.com/guid...ppingguide.php

I'm experimenting with lapping the Luxeon Star. I would NOT, I repeat NOT recommend you lap the Luxeon star unless you are experienced in lapping computer components.

Hey Tim, store wish list thermal paste and thermal adhesive.
    Thanks

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

http://www.geocities.com/projectstm/lightsaber.html

I have a question, are you guys using thermal paste for attaching the heatsink to the led or as a heat conductor? also would super glue work to hold a LED to a heat sink?

"If you can't duct it f*** it"
    sorry if this offends anyone.I thought it was funny

Those who live by the sword, will die by the sword

There are little plastic screws meant to hold down the LED to the heatsink. But I suppose if you really wanted to you could glue it down...What they are discussing here is the use of thermal paste as an added thermal conductor.

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I would not use superglue. Use a flexible glue (Elmers makes a decent one) if you must use glue at all. The best on a homemade one I'd say is to come up with some type of notch to slip the LED into or use the little screws that scaarmor mentioned.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

i think the best way, is do it like tim does his. have the heatsink plate and drill and tap small holes for two small nylon bolts. so far, to me thats the best solution, and tims already got that one nailed down.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

well what i am using is a couple of washers for a heat sink and was wonderingthe best way to atatch the star led to the washers

Tim's seems like a great system. I'm making my own but I have been using metal screws.
    Where can one get these nylon screws?

(Do you sell them Tim? or are they an easy electronics store thing?)

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

thanx madcow, by the way I think you can get nylon screws at either home depot or radio shack, but i would ask tim if he'll sell them first

madcow; I know home depot sells nylon screws, it's in those sliding bin things, but check lowes first HD is teh suck.

I'm using a 1.25" tube for my saber, which from what I can tell tim doesnt have in stock/ isnt planning to make them anytime soon, so Im pretty much forced to make my own. Right now Im going to try brass tubing, we'll see how it works out.

Blog Entries

There is such a thing as Thermal Adhesive. It comes in many forms - paste, epoxy and tape. Artic Silver has an epoxy type that is supposed to be real strong.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

http://www.geocities.com/projectstm/lightsaber.html