Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: heat sinking

I am with Ultra on this one - the holder is the CORE of the saber. Sure you could make it with other parts(e.g. PVC, bolts and other sub-standards) - but when you finish it, don't provoke any of us to a duel. Skils aside, our Tim-holder-powered sabers will win everytime.
    If I may paraphrase Luminara Unduli:

The <font color="green">Holder </font id="green"> is the Heart of the Blade.
    The Heart is the <font color="green">Holder </font id="green"> of the Jedi.
    The Jedi is the <font color="green">Holder </font id="green"> of the Force.
    The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
    All are intertwined: The <font color="green">Holder</font id="green">, The blade,The Jedi.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

Yeah, I was really interested to know how poeple make blade holders to convert MR's without any special blade holder from Tim. I'm dying to get my hands on some of these - but I'm sure everyone else is too!

that's awesome ultra, i had no idea that the blade holder was important, i also had no idea that you had to either use tim's or pvc, i always thought that making my own by using some steel, a welder and a heatsink from a pc was ok, but i could be wrong. and if you would read my post before, i already said that i don't make things like steel and electronics. i don't want to be a jerk or sound like a jerk, but please don't criticize my work just because you consider it to be "sub-standard".

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

I would like to appologize for my neighbor. He's only thirteen and doesn't realize that some people are trying to make some money. He's been wanting to build a lightsaber too and the wait for parts is probably getting the best of him. [V]

Those who live by the sword, will die by the sword

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

Hey does anyone know how to build sabers without using any of the parts that the owner of these forums sell?

/sigh
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Duct tape. Lots of it. []

Eh, maybe I'm a pessimist, but I tell myyself that until I know what the **** I'm doing, I should probably follow the directions of the guys that have done this dozens (if not hundreds) of times.

That is true you can do almost anything with duct tape.
    Anything to make Tim lose some money right.[^]

just kidding[]

Those who live by the sword, will die by the sword

Unrelated to the thread, but I think funny, and some of you might not know it:
    When you are fixing something all you need are 2 things: Duct tape and WD40. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape.

one more-
    Corporate slogan: "DUCT TAPE - It's what holds America together"

and another read somewhere on these threads:
    Duct tape is like the force - it has a light side and a dark side and it binds everything together (or something along these lines)

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

Along the same lines. I've always preferred:

"There are two forces at work in the Universe. WD40 which permits movement and Duck Tape, which restricts all motion."

tim, why does the heat sink you sell have to be used with the mhs blade holder? does it have to be used with it for the led to be properly heatsinked? i am wondering because your heat sink would work perfectly for a special vader conversion i am doing.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

I've scanned to see if anyone's asked this but haven't seen it so...

What can you use between the Luxeon star and the heat sink to help heat transfer?
    I know there are certain greases out there for that purpose. Does anyone use them? I have a basic silicone grease - will that work?

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life