Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: heat sinking

Default heat sinking

I was wondering what the best way to attach a home made heat sink to a home made blade holder would be.

screw the inocent

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Cute username...[]

If both are homemade we don't know much about it do we?[] Pics would help. Otherwise I can just say use a nut and washer, and thermal paste wouldn't be a bad idea to help transfer heat from the holder to the heatsink.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Has anyone made a successful homemade LED holder? Could someone post a list of parts/instructions. A lot of people would be very interested to know how to do it - with proper heatsinking and such.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Hey does anyone know how to build sabers without using any of the parts that the owner of these forums sell?

/sigh

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

LOL - apparently not many of us.

<center>
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/</center>

sorry tim, but i think some people (like myself) have to be hard headed and make things for themselves...just so they can say that they made it. i love the satifaction of showing people a saber that doesn't have any parts made by someone else. [8D]

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

A saber that doesnt have any parts made by somebody else?
    Are people making their own led's, switchs, battery holders, etc..?

My comment was not meant to hinder people building their own sabers. The post just came across the wrong way to me I guess.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

Hey does anyone know how to build sabers without using any of the parts that the owner of these forums sell?

/sigh

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

[:I]

In some cases it's probably just because the parts won't work in the design. Others I think don't realize all that you sell.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

i didn't mean no electronic parts. i meant no cosmetic parts that were crafted by someone else, of coarse i can't make steel and el wire, but i can use steel to make my own blade holders and hilts, no offense to tim or anyone who uses his parts, they just aren't for me (except things like LEDs, because it is not possible for someone with my resources to make one).

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

I would hardly call a bladeholder/LED mount/heatsink a "cosmetic" part. That assembly is the core of the entire saber, it is THE most important part of the machine. Sure, you could use an aluminum bolt with washers for a heatsink. You could use PVC for a bladeholder. And before Tim came along, that's what I used. But now that there are purpose made parts for LED sabers, why use sub-standard parts?

Anyway, no matter what you use to build your saber, it's all being made by someone else. You don't make the sink pipe, you don't make the grips, you don't make the bolts, and you certainly don't make the metal tubes. You make two things, Jack and ****, and Jack just left town.

We're builders/fabricators/assemblers, that's it. The only real "maker" here would be Tim who actually starts with a hunk of metal on a lathe and "makes" parts.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity