Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: heat sinking

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, at least it's a relevant question. As opposed to someone resurrecting a 2+ yr old saber thread just so they can say"Cool!"
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

At least he is reading?

Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyone View Post
    hmm...if a blade is 1" OD then wouldn't the heat sink be the same size?

...unless your hilt has an even smaller ID at the point you need to mount a heat sink.

also...if you are using pvc as a blade holder you don't need a heat sink? For any LED?

The reason I ask is I have a sink tube saber with pvc lining brass sink tube, I'm planning on putting a P4 in it and it sounds like I won't need a heatsink. Not to be cheap I already have a list of parts well over $200
    Yes you need a heatsink. Especially for a PVC saber cause the PVC is more of an insulator and doesn't transfer heat to cooler air like an aluminum hilt would.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Shadar Al'Niende...At least he is reading?

Who's "he"? There's alot people commenting here.

I'm all over it Fenderbender, should have mentioned I came to that conclusion but thanks for additional reasoning. Having a better understanding of all these parts/materials is key.
    Last edited by Onlyone; 10-01-2009 at 08:33 AM.

hmm...if a blade is 1" OD then wouldn't the heat sink be the same size?

...unless your hilt has an even smaller ID at the point you need to mount a heat sink.

also...if you are using pvc as a blade holder you don't need a heat sink? For any LED?

The reason I ask is I have a sink tube saber with pvc lining brass sink tube, I'm planning on putting a P4 in it and it sounds like I won't need a heatsink. Not to be cheap I already have a list of parts well over $200
    The id is smaller where the blade sits and the heat sink sits about a cm below the blade on a lip of the mhs piece below the blade holder so the optics and lens holder can sit on top of the LED without being crushed by the blade. You won't really be able to picture how the MHS system works without seeing it first hand.

Also the p4 IS going to get hot so you need a brass heat sink. If you're using a sink tube that has a id of 1.25 then get the mhs adaptor set which comes with a larger heatsink. Plastic won't do I'm afraid.

PVC blade holder is going to be far less sturdy that the above option, so I personally wouldn't go with a pvc blade holder solution.

Spend a bit more and you'll have something far more reliable.

These are the parts you're looking for, you will pay more, now move along....
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Shadar Al'Niende...At least he is reading?

Who's "he"? There's alot people commenting here.

I'm all over it Fenderbender, should have mentioned I came to that conclusion but thanks for additional reasoning. Having a better understanding of all these parts/materials is key.
    I think he meant you? Since you're the one that resurrected this old thread.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Nice that he acknowledged I've been doing some reading but funny that someone would assume I'm a guy.

Unless I get an obvious indication,
    I stick to user names.

Invisas1979...

I can picture it actually good description but my hilt isn't that simple and i would need several mhs parts to do this.

My outer layer of sink tube is 1.5 so I'd need a blade holder to fit that and a choke and then well most of my hilt is pvc inside so I'd have to almost start from scatch. I am looking at doing this later but can't afford it all.

Inside the 1.5" sinktube is a vacuum adapter with a piece of pvc with 1" ID. The vacuum adapter changes ID and OD and is connected to 1.5 sink tube with pvc spacers on each end. Then another vacuum adapter and repeats and another section or sinktube.

Pics below...I'm making alterations to the pummel as shown in the upper right hand version. a style/function thing.

I'm ordering parts to complete it and either I'm upgading it later. It would be nice to be able to finish it for now though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PS ..I'm not weak minded so those mind tricks don't work on me...

And its heat sinks are copper not brass....hehe

Nice that he acknowledged I've been doing some reading but funny that someone would assume I'm a guy.

Unless I get an obvious indication,
    I stick to user names.
    My apologies, i just figured guys are more apt to put out crude usernames?
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Especially with the one he used.

It's also a safe assumption that you are male, because probably 99% of the people posting here are.

I am the only female who posts here regularly and has over a few hundred posts.
    TCSS MODERATOR