Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: hasbro vs MR FX

very helpful info there, gelu.
    sounds like a hasbro is not the solution to my problem.
    so the MRs don't have the same sound module in all of them, huh?
    maybe one of you electronics geniuses can figure a way to cannibalize a Casio SK5 sampling keyboard into a sound module for a saber. i bet it's not too hard.
    I'm looking into one of those damaged vaders on ebay. I only spent $27 on my damaged anakin so i'm hopeful.

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

My Anakin does not give the GHOST woosh. It acts like normal, only wooshing with movement. However I do agree that the sounds are way to fast. The Hasbros with motion sensors give a good decent length woosh (my opinion), but after the woosh it takes a second or two before it will sense another woosh. I posted long ago that the hasbros will give a ghost woosh if the motion sensor is not mounted correctly, but mounted the right way they woosh only with motion. My only real problem with the hasbros is that it takes a pretty considerable smack to sense a clash. It could be all in the mounting as with the motion sensor, I am not to sure as I have only put sound into 2 sabers. However, all in all, I love the hasbro boards. Sure I would like the quality of the sounds to be a little better. But they are pretty easily found, cheap (expecially when compared to MR), easily disassembled and reassembled into something usable, sound good, and can be tweaked with, repaired, and otherwise reworked. For all that you get I can overlook the less than perfect sounds.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

scaarmor, maybe one of these days I'll post a picture of my 60+ hasbros []
    Don't get me wrong, for the price, you can't beat them, even at 22 bucks a piece, but we're talking about what we think sounds best and why, so that's how I came to putting in my 2 cents.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

My brother's Vader 2005 sounds awsome - very intimidating. How do the Anakin's compare? As tough sounding?

Gelu,
    I understood. I was just throwing my two cents in as well[]. I think the two are comperable to each other in my opinion and it is because I am a cheap bastard[]! The hasbros costing less makes them sound better to me, but again "Cheap bastard" so my opinion might be a little jaded...

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

I've canabalized one of the color-changing sabers, it doesn't woosh, but I'm not going to be picky with my first project. I kind of like one of the clashes on it, there's the impact then a pseudo woosh. The only real problem with it is the recovery, after the pseudo woosh it takes a second to be able to make the other clash again.

I've also got one of the Build Your Own sabers, and the sound isn't great, but it's not terrible if you have the blue crystal in it, I think. Yes, the crystal does make a difference; each color is a different size and it presses a button in the little compartment. The sound board is probably too much trouble to take out and use for anything else, though.

{<font color="black">[[[</font id="black">(((<font color="red">o</font id="red">))<font color="gold">EE</font id="gold">[/<font color="blue">==============</font id="blue">

If I remember corrcetly, all of the hasbros when sensing a clash take a moment before it will sense another one. The amount of time it takes to sense another one is not bad or very long, but if you make a couple of strikes real fast it will only clash on one or two. I think when they designed these they made them with a second of no sound after the clash, meaning with every hit there is a spot of recorded time with no sound that must play before it will clash again. It is the same with the ones that sense motion as well. As opposed to the MR boards that if another clash is sensed it will stop the clash sound already in effect and play the new one from the begining of the recording. However, I guess we cant get to picky for 8-20$ sound[].

Cain

So I got bored and took the sound board out of my build-your-own saber,and I discovered something which may or may not be a problem: The byo's are wired to light up a flashlight bulb, and they use C-size batteries. will there be any problem with connecting it to a LED, and using smaller batteries? the different sound options are easy enough to fix

{<font color="black">[[[</font id="black">(((<font color="red">o</font id="red">))<font color="gold">EE</font id="gold">[/<font color="blue">==============</font id="blue">

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There is not problem at all. The lightbulb and LED work the same. A resistance is applied to make it light up. The battery size doesn't matter either. All the standard batteries (D, C, AA, AAA) have the same voltage. A C would just last longer.

There have been threads on using just the sound board to light the LED up. The problem is that annoying clash...

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

I kind of like the clash on two of the settings, I'll just get rid of one of the buttons... or something, probably just duct tape it down.