Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hasbro vs MR FX

Default hasbro vs MR FX

aside from price, how different are the sound units in the MR FX sabers from the Hasbros? I know they vary according to model, but overall, are the MRs necessarily better just because they cost 10x as much?

"Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you do not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!

I got a Hasbro sound board from the generic sith and jedi saber and my brother has a Vader FX.

Personally I think the power-up and power-down are very similar but the humming on the Hasbros is a bit louder - FX is way better on this part I reckon coz it's more like the movie. The clash on the Hasbro is pretty rubbishy - kinda like static and I find that with the WHOOSH on the Hasbro, straight after it doesn't "fade" in very well to the HUMM - it's kind of abrupt.

I think the Habro sound is a bit "stronger" if you know what I mean? When I installed it in my saber it was louder than the FX - you need to have a good echo chamber.

You know when I first heard my sound module I thought it sounded exactly like a light-tech sound module - but I went and had a look - it is a bit different but I think if you wanna find out what a Hasbro sounds like - the generic ones anyway - go to light-tech industries and have a listen. []

Lighttech is where i found out about these saber props in the first place. their sound unit sounds really good to me. but they want way too much for it. my friend has a Build Your Own Lightsaber and it totally SUCKS! it sounds like CB radio static, i can't tell a 'clash' from a 'hum' from a 'woosh' and it seems very flimsy in construction. i don't know about the electronics inside, but i wouldn't count on it lasting more than 6 months to a year. i have a MR FX anakin on the way, per someone's recommendation somewhere on this site. the display model at the mall looked like it had been through vietnam. half of the LEDs were out (i asked about selling it at a discount as damaged merchandise, the idiot at Spencer's told me, no joke, "the lights all work fine, it just needs time to warm up"), the grips were coming off and the batteries sounded weak. I got a 'damaged' one of ebay for $27 (still wanted $120 + tax at the mall. screw that.). when it arrives I plan on converting it to a luxeon. i still have not heard one of the recommended models (sith, i believe, right?) of the hasbros to compare the sounds. my next project will be a scratchbuilt saber possibly employing a hasbro sound board. the MR FX units aren't available separately are they?

"Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you do not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!

The sith and jedi generic are the same I think. Someone on the forum said the Vader ROTJ is the best.

Don't think MR sells sound seperately.

I'm trying to buy a damaged FX on eBay but few will ship to Australia[!]

I was the one that stated Vader ROTJ was the best. However, I have learned that there are more than one kind out there, not all good, so that statement becomes invalid.
    The new $8 sith/generic are pretty decent if it wasn't for that flash so many of us hate. Beware Malwart also sells an Obi ep.I for 8 bucks. Stay away from it. It sounds like a broken CB radio.
    I like the MR sounds way better than the Hasbros, but that could be a matter of personal prefference. Anyway, loudness was mentioned. I say it is due to the size of the speaker. Hook-up a Hasbro speaker to an MR board and it will be just as loud.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

I have a working hasbro darth vader lightsaber from ten years ago when the special edition trilogy first came out. at first when I fished it out of my closet it didn't work because i had left two C batteries in it which corroded over the years. i opened it up and cleaned it out and the damn thing actually worked. i gutted out the sound board but its soo old its kinda falling apart. i'm keeping it in a plastic bag till I can figure out what to do with it.[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop\DCIM\100_3060\30600010.J PG[/img]

I have surrendured to the ways of the darkside. Fear is my ally

If this is the model with LEDs instead of a bulb, then do your best to salvage it. These are the best. The sound is awsome, there is a motion sensor/whoosh and they don't have the start-up/shut-down/clash flashing. Good luck!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by GeluKhanGharr

Beware Malwart also sells an Obi ep.I for 8 bucks. Stay away from it. It sounds like a broken CB radio.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Crap... Thats the one that I've already taken apart to use... :sigh:

Seeing as how only the red works on my sons Anakin color change saber, maybe I should just gut that one too?

I'm continuing my obnoxious "woosh vs woosh-woosh" thread here from the Anakin conversion thread. How many total sounds does the Hasbro sound board make? My MR Anakin has 6: power up, power down, hum, woosh, woosh-woosh, saber clash and laser deflect. I only want it to hum and clash, the wooshes are out of control and wooshing at random. Stryder said somehting about 2 sensors, i bet one is for the wooshes and one is for the clashes. The hasbro appears to only have 1 sensor. how does it compare to the MRs in terms of sensitivity and accuracy (does it make sounds when it feels like it or only when swung/struck?)? I hate to keep harping on this one point but it's driving me nuts that the MR wooshes when it's just sitting on the couch.

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

Hasbros come in many flavors. In my personal view, the best of them are still inferior to MRs. For starters, the quality of the sound is much lower. Alright, some Hasbros have achieved a decent power-up/power-down sound that is comprable to MR. The rest of the sounds, however, are horrible. A good one will not "whoosh" just sitting there, I admit, but when you swing it it will "whoosh" way too fast. In other words, the half second sound is over before you have a chance to actually swing the saber. I say that makes it worse than the MR. Keep in mind the MR Anakin 2005 sounds different than MR Anakin 2002 and verry different from the 2005 MR Vader which in turn sounds different from 2003 MR Vader. Mace sounds different as well. My personal favourite is the 2005 MR Vader. It is simple and concise. Clear and sharp. Only 4 effects: p-u, p-d, whoosh, clash. That's it!