Thread: LED bargraphs

Default LED bargraphs

I'm sold on adding bargraphs to my sabers, so I have been looking for a decent source of them and have come up short. Does anybody know where I could locate some kind of like the ones Parks uses in his sabers? I'd like to find a variety of types. Surely there are loads of pre-assembled modules out there that would look at home on a saber.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Radioshack had RED ones as part 276-081.

http://search.ebay.com/bargraph_W0QQ...dsreturnedZ300

Also turned up some of the same ones in multiple colors. These are the prequel style and ones Parks uses, but I think they are too small. In a clamp with a switch it comes out to a nice size, but alone I think they lack a bit.

EDIT: I know Mouser has them too. I just never ordered any but I remember they are the same in different colors.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I was kind of hoping for modules that have the IC already installed and are kind of a "plug and play" type of deal, see what I'm saying? Of course, I don't know anything about adding a bargraph to an IC. Maybe it's not so hard?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nah, they are all setup to fit in a 20-pin DIP that even Radiohack sells though.

What are you looking for though? A PLI alternative? I think the PLI is worth every penny... I think if you wanted to try the bargraphs I have and linked seemingly line up to all but one LED. I think you could replace the LEDs with these if you wanted.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Oh, I agree that the PLI sold here is the bee's knees. I just wanted to look for some alternatives to mix things up a bit, ya know? The DIP that RadioShack sells...does a person have to program it, or is that already done? Those are the questions that plague me and keep me searching for other modules.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The DIP would just be a mounting method... I believe the sell most of the stuff to get it to do "blinky" functions, etc. I know I've seen newb "What's a microcontroller" sets.

I've yet to have a saber that I wouldn't want Erv's board in that would have the bargraph. I guess it'd all be in the bag of tricks though. Please look into it... I may not have a need now to look that stuff up, but having something here would be good to go by.
    RED LEADER Standing by!