Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: White 5 watt Luweon

It was to prove that the flashlight guys have a screw loose.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Thanks X-Wing, seeing as how the highest priced one was $24.50 I think I can live with that lol! So if I purchased either the Cree XR-E or Seoul P4 could I simply swap it out with the current 3 watt in my Mace and have it be brighter than a K2 or is there more to it than that?

Depends on the forward voltage required.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar
    Every LED is different but the "typical" is the same.

So, yes Simi. It's just a swap and it should give you more since they are more efficient. Even at 700mA it puts out 170-180 lumens.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Please forgive me for all of the questions but I suck with electricity and you guys are AWESOME with techincal know-how. Would it be brighter than a K2 with the 5 watt relay?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, the K2 when maxed is only 140 lumens. You'll be getting better battery life and easily a 40 lumen boost over the K2 (likely more).
    RED LEADER Standing by!

REALLY!?! WOW!!! That is probably the best news I heard all day. I can't believe it would make THAT much of a difference without having to wire any additional stuff in. Which one would you recommend then, the Cree XR-E or Seoul P4 or are both okay to use? Which ever one you suggest I'm going to end up buying two. I read a thread on how this guy made a Mara Jade replica from a MHS. The pictures very cool and I don't think that would be too difficult of a project to tackle. Thanks to all of you in advance for all of your help, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    Quote Originally Posted by Novastar
    Every LED is different but the "typical" is the same.

So, yes Simi. It's just a swap and it should give you more since they are more efficient. Even at 700mA it puts out 170-180 lumens.
    How is a Mace MRFX going to power a Lux V.

Even if it does... how will it survive the 7+ volts without frying (without a relay or whatever).
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nova, I wasn't talking about the Luxeon V.... and never was. I'm talking about a Seoul or Cree LED.

They are quite the rage in flashlights because of their efficiency. They are in the same as Luxeon III's as far as running them. They take 3.7V typical and 1000mA Max. BUT they give a max of 240 lumens.

Simi, use which ever. I haven't looked significantly at the ones I linked, but I'd examine the bin numbers he gives to see which is best. Some of those may be a "warm" white (we traditionally use cool) and the characteristics may vary a bit... that's what the bin numbers will tell us.

EDIT: Ahh... I see. The topic started about the V but I diverged it. He asked what the brightest white he could use was. Barring the multiple die high wattage LEDs the Seoul and Crees are on top for Whites. they easily beat others and replace the III.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I read the reviews from all 3 of your links X-Wing and I am going with the Cree P4 XR-E 7090. One of the reviews on it mentioned it had a slight purple tint to the LED and since it is going into a Mace saber that was an obvious choice. Upon reading I found it also runs cooler than a K2 so by that I'll presume I can use the same heatsink. Since the top of the LED is taller, where can I get optics and a holder? I saw the 3W Cree, Regulator, Reflector http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1447. That doesn't seem like it would work for this type of application though. Is there something from www.luxeonstar.com that I can use?