Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1.25" sink tube blade holder question

my question was not where can i make it cheaper, though that was obviously my goal as i could not see why the part was worth $20, because nothing in the store says it's machined out to hold the optics in place. I thought it was just a tube. I have been informed that it is a more complicated piece than i thought Tim might want to expand its description in the store so new builders like myself know that the has more to it than the pictures or current description shows.

It is more complicated than you think as it has a recessed area in it that clamps down on the lens assembly.
    that was all it took to get me to know it was worth buying rather than trying to make it, and i ordered it yesterday along with the electronics for my hilt, can't wait to put it all together.

Even just a "blade holder" without lens assembly and LED holder would be worth its 20$. I've been making sabers for long ennough to prefer getting stuff machined to anything handmade for blade holding. I tried most everything.

This said, TCSS always had great price on good quality products. I've seen blade holders a lot more expansive then that in the past, having less options.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

That blade holder looks really good... I just found a piece of chromed pipe that would be a good candidate for a lightsaber, and it has an inner diameter of 31 mm, and now I´m wondering if this 1.25 inch blade holder will fit inside the pipe...

Thanks in advance for helping this padawan

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

it'll be pretty close. 1.25 sink tube is like 31.7 mm, acording to my digital guage.

BLUE 3- Ready

Quote Originally Posted by vortextwist
    it'll be pretty close. 1.25 sink tube is like 31.7 mm, acording to my digital guage.
    Yeah, it´ll surely be pretty tight... I´m a little worried about that ".7", though, but will give it a try for sure. Thanks for your help, vortextwist

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

you could always do some sanding.

BLUE 3- Ready

I can't remember a single saber I've made/repaired that did NOT require sanding of some kind... whether on driver board edges (Corbin's) or on parts like sink tubes or MHS pieces. I even sand the nylon screws sometimes for the 1.25" black anodized emitter--so they will fit better.

Doesn't take much.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Every saber I've made needed sanding of some kind too...

but I suppose...if you made a pure MHS hilt with no overlays...and utilized electronics that that fit inside with no mods...then you'd theoretically have a hilt that would require zero sanding whatsoever. God that's a wierd thought o.O

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!