Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1.25" sink tube blade holder question

Default 1.25" sink tube blade holder question

I'm building a 1.25" sink tube, LED hilt, and i'm wondering what the blade holder gives me exactly that i couldn't build myself. If i buy the heat sink would it be that difficult to make something out of pvc that did the same thing. As far as i can tell it just reduces the inside diameter to 1" and has some pre drill/tapped holes for mounting, is this piece more complicated than i think?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, it's all in one... and it's super solid. I think $20 is worth that.

It is more complicated than you think as it has a recessed area in it that clamps down on the lens assembly.

The closest PVC is still loose for a 1" blade. Also the lens would have a tendency to come loose unless you space it properly. I once made a sub $50 saber for someone where I did this. I wrapped the lens in electrical tape and really pushed it in... the custom heatsink was set screwed in. Okay, but not my preferred.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

ya the blade holder is hella worth the 20 bucks. I used one for a friend and it was awsome. easy as pie.

BLUE 3- Ready

ok so there is something inside it that holds the optics in place, that's really what i wanted to know, and that makes it worth it, if it was just a straight tube i'd have tried to build it, but i'll just buy it to get everything nice and tight, i plan to not be gentle with it so i want everything good and secure.

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

then that is your way to go.

BLUE 3- Ready

I was going to ask the same thing but this answers my question. Can we expect to see something like this for the 1.5 inch too?
    WHAT THE %*#& IS AN ALUMINIUM FALCON?!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There already is an equivalent through the adapter that lets you use MHS parts.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Mark my words, unless you have your own machine shop and a lot of experience (and $$$ to throw around on boring out aluminum and all that)... I can't honestly see much quibble over Tim's sweet blade holders...

1.25" emitter is awesome, and the "standard" ones are pretty cool too.

I said it before, I'll say it again... talk about killing 4 birds with one stone! Blade holder, LED holder, LED heatsink, fits great with tubes, nice OD too.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Not to be pushing you into anything but, trust me, just use tim's parts.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Are we not all forgetting the whole aspect of, this is a forum attatched to a Store. Talking about where can i make x part the store sells for cheaper is quite discourteous. Frankly i think Tim is a little overly tolerant of this particular facet of the game. Unless you are prepared to do as Nova suggested and get into machining yourself, even still at that point you would likely want one or two of Tim's parts for reference material, as he really has got it going on in this facet of machining.
    FSM What's on your belt?