Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: problem with mhs kit HELP IM SCAREEDDDD!!!

Default problem with mhs kit HELP IM SCAREEDDDD!!!

ok guys lol ur prob thinkin what a noob but w/e ok i just completed making my MHS saber kit and i just finsihed soldering everything together and all of that and i got a 5w cyan LED and so the MHS kit sends u all the right stuff right? so i turn it on and its beautiful lol ....i turn it off touch the resistor as im moving stuff around and its reeeddd hot like seriously i almost got like one of those burn blisters on my thumb from it, now i let it cool down and it was just warm so i just tryed turning it back on and nothing happened except the resistor got hot again...i soldered all the connections together and covered them with electrical tape...its the MHS kit so im doubting the fact that he sent me the wrong pieces....and im seriously lost now guys im powering it with the 6 double a batteries which in total does end up at 9vs i dk what else to say...PLZ PLZZZ help me guys i really wanted to duel with this by this weekend...HELP!

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

not real sure, unless you soldered the resistor in wrong. do you have a pic of your wireing?

BLUE 3- Ready

yeh ill upload one in a few seconds...gonna eat dinna lol brb then ill post it

ok got some pictures here they are in the pictures, the txt to the resister are upside down...uhhh hereee

annnddd

<a

Tim's diagram for wiring up a LED as shown here suggests that the switch be placed between the battery and the LED. Perhaps that is what ails you, granted i am not an electronics genious, but my suggestion would be to follow the diagrams of the man who runs the store.
    FSM What's on your belt?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I like to put my resistor up near the LED, but that's personal preference, it shouldn't matter, as long as it's in the circuit, since this is very simple circuit. A resistor has no polarity, unlike components like diodes and capacitors, for an example, so you can't solder them in "wrong".

A resistor is going to get hot, it sheds the excess voltage it's taking out of the circuit in the form of heat, but I don't think it should get so hot it burns you. You've got the 3.3 ohm resistor right? That's what you should have, if you bought the kit.

I just put together a 5W kit for a friend's custom saber, and while the resistor did get hot, I don't remember it getting so hot that I was afraid it would burn me when I tested it before putting it inside the saber hilt.

I don't know what to tell you about that.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

from the pics it should be good, I would have used heat shrink instead of elec tape.

BLUE 3- Ready

Yes heatshrink.

Iam not sure of the 5W resistor setups. I like to use drivers or sound boards if possable.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, I hate electrical tape. It's bulky, doesn't always stay where you want it to, and leaves everything sticky when it comes off.

Apparently, if he'd used heat shrink, he wouldn't even have needed to use a heat gun to shrink it! It would have shrunk from the heat of the resistor when he turned it on.

I'm kidding.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I'm not an expert on the sabers from here but I do have some experience modding and repairing hasbros. If you're afraid the resistor will burn you to the point of getting a blister then I would recommend removing the resistor and putting everything on a driver. A driver takes the place of a resistor. I myself prefer drivers over resistors but you use what you like and works best for you. If you do go with a driver I recommend using this driver made by corbin_das in latching form. Here's a link.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc...3w-driver.aspx
    However if you use this driver to my knowledge it won't support a Lux5 or a K2. If you don't like this driver I would recommend trying on of erv's crystal focus drivers. That's what I recommend if you decide to take the resistor out. Hope I could help you.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.