View Poll Results: If lightsabers were to be invented in the future would you get one?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would get 1 or more of each type (double hilt and single)

14 43.75%
  • Yes I would get 1 or more single hilts.

10 31.25%
  • Yes I would get 1 or more double hilts.

0 0%
  • Yes but only one saber of either type.

6 18.75%
  • Not right away.

0 0%
  • I wouldn't get one.

2 6.25%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: real lightsabers. would you get one.

Well eventhough there would be risks, I would get one too, plus there are adjustments so you could put it on low power for practicing at first then up it as you get better.
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before Me"
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

it would be cool but not logical.

BLUE 3- Ready

Kids, lets just all agree to disagree.
    GSW is right, if there is no law saying you have to post in every topic, but Trog is also entitled to his opinion. If he sees a poll as pointless, he's entitled to say how he feels about it.

Back on topic:
    You guys have more guns than us, and the majority of owners are law-abiding citizens.
    On not quite the same scale, knife-related crime is increasing dramatically over here due to brainless thugs thinking they need to carry a weapon.
    It would be cool to have real ones, but not at the expense of the innocent people that would get hurt.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

-Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

There would be some risks involved in public ownership of real sabers which we all agree on or mostly I'm sure. Like you said Gforce it would put some people at risk. Still consider this as far as weapons develpement for civilians and military/law enforcement goes. Every time another gun and/or weapon comes out there will always be the chance that a thug could get a hold of one and use it. Military grade weapons are bought, sold, and used on the black market everyday as recent news events will show. You see what type of weapons thugs and terrorists use. Look at the AK47 and RPK for example. They were built for use by military personel and some law enforcement groups. We all see how quickly thugs and terrorists got a hold of them. It's something to think about. As far as a power regulation switch goes most likely a law would be passed saying they had to be standared equipment on more than one occasion. It's something to think about.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Mars, that was hilarious ! It couldn't have been better placed.

Toil awhile ... endure awhile ... believe always ... and never turn back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    See, I tend to think that everything that we like about lightsabers (aesthetics aside) would be thrown out the window if we had real ones. We couldn't do any tricks, we couldn't spar, and we couldn't build them ourselves.
    he has a very good point there ya know all the hard work anyone has put in to making a saber would go down the drain by just getting a new and reall one.And nightwing i agree wih you about the trainig sabers i would love one as well.It would be like the best dueling saber ever.
    "I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father"

Luke Skywalker ep IV

Slightly off-topic, but if you had a real lightsaber, would it have a smell? I was thinking about this lately because I recently got a high-voltage transformer that you can make large sparks with, turn unfrosted light bulbs into plasma globes, and light florescent lights without contact. Those of you who have played with anything similar will probably know that "static" smell. Do you think lightsabers would smell like this, or would they be odorless?

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

i'd think they would smell. i mean in my mind you are "burning" the air (the can melt steel doors) with the intense heat of the blade.

as to my vote, it would be a single hilt.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Consider to the physics involved in this. Heat itself is generated when molecules are "excited" and start moving more rapidly. Molecular motion is what generates heat, or a lack of it. The faster the molecules the more heat and vice versa. Heat itself is not what excites the molecules. The stimulas provided by the lightsaber blade would excite the molecules and generate some heat. Another thing how some people say in episode one qui-gon's lightsaber was melting the door if you look at it through molecular science, or however you want to say that, that's isn't the case. As you all have seen I'm sure the lightsabers didn't release their heat until they touched something EX:the cutting and melting of the door by qui-gon in TPM, obi-won cutting off the arm of the guy pestering luke in the cantina in ANH. The saber didn't burn anything until the blade touched it. So actually the door was melting itself, the saber only provided a stimulas to the molecules to move. Before you all say obi-won's saber didn't completly burn the guy in the cantina, look at the age of the saber. Obi had used it for more than 20-30 years since revenge of the sith. The saber was more than likely to lose some of it's affectiveness after all that use without little to no maintainance. Sorry for long post but that's what I know about saber blades. As far as the smell goes I think they would have a slight to no static smell what so ever.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.