View Poll Results: If lightsabers were to be invented in the future would you get one?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would get 1 or more of each type (double hilt and single)

14 43.75%
  • Yes I would get 1 or more single hilts.

10 31.25%
  • Yes I would get 1 or more double hilts.

0 0%
  • Yes but only one saber of either type.

6 18.75%
  • Not right away.

0 0%
  • I wouldn't get one.

2 6.25%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: real lightsabers. would you get one.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I believe I read some where that some scientists thought that exceeding the threshold of the speed of sound in an airplane would cause the earth's atmosphere to explode.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen
    I believe I read some where that some scientists thought that exceeding the threshold of the speed of sound in an airplane would cause the earth's atmosphere to explode.
    have you ever heard a sonic boom? haha jk

they say the speed of light cant be broken because as mass moves faster it gets exponentially heavier and requires exponentially more energy to move it. theoretically the point where speed hits the speed of light the energy required to move any amount of mass that fast is infinite. I'm not saying travelling faster than light is impossible, i'm just saying with current technology and conventional means of producing energy, it's i'mpossible

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Now I'm remembering, before anyone corrects me, that scientists thought exploding an atomic bomb would ignite the atmosphere, not exceeding the speed of sound. D'oh and Duh.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen
    Now I'm remembering, before anyone corrects me, that scientists though exploding an atomic bomb would ignite the atmosphere, not exceeding the speed of sound.
    Well, I suppose that would've ended WWII as well.
    TCSS Red Squadron - The most kickawesome fighting force in the Galaxy.

Which Blue Luxeon is movie-accurate? Find out here.

I'll give you people one thing. At the moment we don't have the technology to make a real true lightsaber. However technology advances everyday. We can contain plasma now into a tube like a lightsaber blade. However we can't at the moment contain it like on star wars or get the blade as hot as the one's in the movies either without killing someone. However I think in the near future mabey the next 100 years or so we may see true sabers come out.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Yes definately I would get one. As a retired Soldier one must learn respect for any weapon, how to use it, how to care for it, how to avoid getting injured or killed by it. I would study it's use until I was an expert at it, like I am with an M-16A1 rifle.

It would also make a most remarkable tool. Think of cutting down treens and prepping them for making a log home. Think of cutting up junk to haul to the dump. Think of the lightening fast welds you could make. Think of escape holed cut into the walls of burning buildings. The list goes on and on.

It is too useful a tool that can double as a weapon to not have one.
    Blue Two

"Destroy the Sith we must!"
    "If so powerful you are, why leave?"
    Master Yoda

Visit the Carolina Saber Academy

welding, making glass out of sand in less than a second, for the pure fun... they have no real use as a toy but many here have spent thousands on them.. so go figure.

I don't think scientists know as much as they think. Given they know more about what it would take to make a true saber than most of us. The lightsaber would be a crazy must have tool when it came out. It would most likely be sold as a weapon. The lightsaber would be a remarkable breakthrough in technology. As far as using on against someone with a gun... you better hope you can swing faster than he can get his gun out and pull the trigger. If you hit the gun barrel and welded it shut with the saber and he pulled the trigger you could possibly... possibly cause the gun to backfire depending on make and model. Still as far as using one as a weapon goes this is what I think. Criminals could easily use a gun in a crime (EX: armed robbery) yet some use a knife. Some people would use them in a bad way but not everyone. Most gun owners today and saber owners of tomorrow would be and are law abiding people. I would trust a lightsaber to defend myself with in a melee situation before a gun. Reason being the gun could get stolen from you and there you are. With a saber if someone grabbed the blade he'll get burnt to such a degree he/she may never be able to use their hand again. You would have to be careful with a saber just like you would a gun and sword. Still as we've seen even in the movies a gun would still kill better than a saber in most situations. Plus it would be a good self defense tool/weapon to keep around if you can't, and/or don't know how to use a gun. As far as that goes there would be some good saber fights in the streets every so often just like there are gun fights. Anyway the saber would be a practical weapon to use in certain situations. For example if someone is chasing you and trying to hurt you or someone you know shooting them may be too dangerous. If something like that were to happen (and I hope it never does to anyone) using a saber may be better than using a gun. So you see each weapon a gun and saber would be able to do things the other can't and have their pros and cons. Sorry for long post but I wanted to make my point.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mor-El Kesav
    It would also make a most remarkable tool. Think of cutting down treens and prepping them for making a log home. Think of cutting up junk to haul to the dump. Think of the lightening fast welds you could make. Think of escape holed cut into the walls of burning buildings. The list goes on and on.
    And the bar fights you could win, the elevators you could escape from, the tents you could enter, the blast doors you could slice, the speeders you could wreck, the animals you can gut....the list does go on and on.

As a weapon, maybe not, depends on the user, but like you said it would make an excellent tool.

Red 6 Standing By

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdoTransvestite

And the bar fights you could win, the elevators you could escape from, the tents you could enter, the blast doors you could slice, the speeders you could wreck, the animals you can gut....the list does go on and on.

As a weapon, maybe not, depends on the user, but like you said it would make an excellent tool.

man weirdo, that was one great comment. the kind of thing you'd expect the Bird to say
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!