Thread: Getting the EL Wire Inside

Default Getting the EL Wire Inside

OK, is there a trick to getting this EL wire inside the smaller tube? I can't seem to get the last foot inside. And I can see that its bunched up in places, and doesn't look like its going to make it all the way to the end. Any help would be great.

I just took mine and held it next to the diffuser and folded it using it as a guide. Then I took a piece of string (or wire, whatever) put it through the top loop of the el and fed it through the diffuser and then pulled the el through.

Yeah, the string trick works well. I was using a nylon diffuser, which works GREAT, but because nylon is kinda "catchy", when I tried to pull my EL wire through it snapped on the inside. So if you are not using Tim's diffuser spay the wire with a bit of lubricant and it'll pull straight through []

Also try to feed it through slowly, a little bit at a time, keeping it as straight as possible.

How long of a blade are you trying to make?

<center>
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/</center>

Well, after posting this, I went and took some string, *snap*.... ok lets try some speaker wire.... *snap*... OK.... how about some 18 gage... BINGO! That stuff worked. I had to pull it thought a couple of times to get the folds JUST right. And it worked. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. I did get shocked once, forgot to turn the blade off when I discontected it (I don't have it mounted in a hilt yet) And once I gota short from my set screw, but now it lights up all nicy nice.

Thanks for all the help! And I am doing the kit length. But I am dropping like 1-1.5 inches extra into my hilt. You'll understand more once my hilt is done. And because ordering errors on my part, will have to wait a few weeks.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Using the kit parts and 5 strands I have no problems pushing the wire in as long as you fold the bends good and keep the wire lined up and not let them cross over eachother.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

Using the kit parts and 5 strands I have no problems pushing the wire in as long as you fold the bends good and keep the wire lined up and not let them cross over eachother.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

U = EL Expert
    Me = [?]

But it all worked out in the end. So for my first saber, it hasn't been too bad. Some wiring issues, and pulling EL wire, I would still make another one. But now I just know better. =)