Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Holy Cow. Tri-Rebel... ALREADY??!?!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Jeez, people... this isn't rocket science.

The top link is for an RGB Rebel, but not the endor. It's for LED-tech's special 30mm PCB board.

The bottom link is the holder for the optics we normally use. It's not new... I've used them for a while now (months). It's for a single. If I had to hack optics for the Endor I'd use this one because it has the correct height... so if you needed to put it in an MHS you'd need to put a spacer of sorts to have it not rattle (I use a c-clip).
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband View Post

The top link is for an RGB Rebel, but not the endor. It's for LED-tech's special 30mm PCB board.

The bottom link is the holder for the optics we normally use. It's not new... I've used them for a while now (months). It's for a single. If I had to hack optics for the Endor I'd use this one because it has the correct height... so if you needed to put it in an MHS you'd need to put a spacer of sorts to have it not rattle (I use a c-clip).
    Oh..................... I need to get on that site more often!

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband View Post
    "This isn't rocket science Smithers, it's brain surgery!"

Hi folks,
    back from some testing... but without any good news.
    I received my 2 green rebels about 2 weeks ago and mounted them on a second endor PCB with a white one (clash flash).

Just to clear the myth (the mist ?) :

- Forget about the reflectors. Stated by xwing above, I'm like St Thomas, I like to check by myself, no that I don't trust him, but more to increase my personal knowelge. Brightness in the blade is worst than a classic blade of the early days (corbin film with no additional optic guide film). Big hole of brightness on about 1/3 rd or 1/2 of the blade.
    The reflector has an optic grade reflective coating and a parabolic shape, all the requested features for a good reflector. It's just that... the source isn't centered

- tested a lux III optic for fun, same result.

- tested 2 additionnal optics I found. They have a hole on the lens bigger than a normal luxeon, hence the 3 rebel optics fit in. Of course, it's not an adapted optic, but since the sources fit in the hole, it was really close to the focal point. But again, not in place. Better brightness but... probably less than a lux III at 750mA while we have 2 rebels at 750 mA in // suppose to produce at least 200 lumens or so.

So, unless you want to test concrete solution (like I did, I *buy* things to test them), wait for real ENDOR optics, if they come out one day...

Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Thanks Erv... this testing you've done is soooooo nice for everyone--especially with you sharing the results...

But sure, it's not surprising. I mean, trying to get a "tight beam" with one LED is tough enough... but now without the LEDs located centrally... it creates an entirely NEW conundrum of hell & highwater.

Still... challenges are just that... challenging! I'm certain that efficient optics WILL come out... only question is... when and how.

I, for one, think the optics are going to need to become FAR more complex. Quite literally a "triad" of focal lens that sort of "feed" into a final central lens, which may need to be a mixture of convex AND concave... while also being "taller" or take up more room so-to-speak... contain reflective materials in certain places whereas others would clearly be... well... CLEAR/transparent... ...

...and most certainly--they would almost specifically have to start being almost MADE for "sabers" specifically.

This will create even more problems/challenges:

* Current optics were never "meant for sabers"... they just happen to work for our purposes from the LED industry's endeavors!
    * If an optic IS specifically made for these kinds of props... the price could easily double or triple...
    * What with the way LFL is going with the last "FX" saber we saw (Luxeon-ish style)... if the optic is somehow made in collusion with or FOR LFL... you may need to buy "saber X" in order to make your own "saber Y".

The last one is a fairly obvious but legitimate concern. After all... does ANYONE think that Luxeon "Rebel Endors" are simply a COINCIDENCE? If so... you need to get your head checked, heheh

Myself, I would not be surprised at all if the optics will be fashioned only for any new LFL props that may accommodate the Rebel Endor triads. AFter that, it may be a matter of reverse engineering, or... who knows.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Sounds interesting. I dont come to this topic a whole lot so I'm kinda of lost but, I see that basically were still striving for a good tri led star setup.
    "aaah... general kenobi.... you are a bold one."-general grievous

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qymaen_jai_sheelal

Proud owner of the first two Darth Maul conversion kits! Thanks Tim!

I'm not exactly surprised, but thanks a lot Erv to debunk the idea...
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

hey guys ive been fooling around with my rgb rebel and i used the exact same epoxy trick grayven used with his rgb rebel mace windu mr saber and it works reallky well...

however i have a question is there a certain type of solder that the rebel reccomends because i seem to have trouble soldering the rgb rebel or keeping it soldered so to speak???