Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maglite saber in theory

Default Maglite saber in theory

So...I was at work with my 3C cell maglite that had been retro fitted with their new 3W LED bulb. I was thinking it was about the size of a lightsaber handle. Has anyone ever gutted a maglite and put a LED saber into it? So that got me thinking of the best way to do it.

I own a 4D cell maglite and altho it would be huge, at 6'5" 270lbs, I believe it could be considered "proportional". I started thinking that I could probably get 3AA packs inside a maglite, and if I used a 4D cell I might be able to fit 4 sets in without sound, prolly 3 sets if I put a sound mod in it and drilled out the bottom.
    3 sets X 3AA's a piece would give me 13.5V if I went Alkaline, or 10.8 using NIMH rechargables. (or up to 18v if I could get 4 sets and used alkalines).

Highest Green (because green sabers rule) Led I could find is a 192 lumen 5W LED. Anyone know of a better/more powerful LED out there?

Also, I'd like to keep the emitter of the maglite. After unscrewing one, I think it might be possible to drill out the emitter and secure a blade to it. If I could set the LED where the current LED is, and have the blade attached to the emitter; then I reckon I could switch out the emitter+blade with a regular maglite emitter and hang it on my belt without the blade. If everything went right, I could also have an ubermaglite.

Any suggestions?

There are a few people that have done the Maglight thing, so that's really nothing new...

But if you're going to make this thing that powerfull there are 10W LEDs out there that would probably suit your needs. But they are very excpensive, like $50-$90.

I don't remember where we found them and unfortunately I don't have time right now to look, but it's in here somewhere. And I do know that it's not in the Topic Title. Someone posted something about some other electronics and when surfing the provided sight I stumbled on those suckers.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Do-Clo did an Atlas LED which runs at about 8-9 volts or so, and i think that the atlas LEDs are under $20, i have been contemplating doing one of those lately as well. With all the space you have you would not have trouble getting sufficient power to it and you may look into the buckpuck to run it, as there is one that runs dc at 1000mA, again about $20 for the puck. You might pm Do-Clo on that one as he put it together, he would probably be willing to give you some advice on the matter.
    FSM What's on your belt?

A friend on another board I post on recently found these. They also make different types of led's which come in different colors. You'll have to search their catalog to find them though.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Tiger, get it done!!!!

Become like us, one with the Flashlight Saber.

Heed the true calling, it is your destiny. :P
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

I believe that the hardest part would be getting the blade to attach to the emitter.

you have to use tims blade holders. just get the one that will go in sink pipe. it has the adaptor, that bolts on, then the blade holder just screws into that. only question is, the size. a machine job might be in order, to size it down to fit.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird21
    There are a few people that have done the Maglight thing, so that's really nothing new...

But if you're going to make this thing that powerfull there are 10W LEDs out there that would probably suit your needs. But they are very excpensive, like $50-$90.

I don't remember where we found them and unfortunately I don't have time right now to look, but it's in here somewhere. And I do know that it's not in the Topic Title. Someone posted something about some other electronics and when surfing the provided sight I stumbled on those suckers.
    I recall stumbling on it in the TCSS gallery...

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

http://www.gregor.4bz.org/Picture%201601.jpg

So here I am posing with my maglite saber at CIV. I'm proud that it's not photoshopped. Sadly I hadn't gotten around to throwing a single huge LED in it. That is instead a Hyperdyne blade system. I'm really happy with it, but will probably gut another maglite and start another project.

Any thoughts on just throwing a blade over the LED holder in a D cell maglite?

No joke, Lan Ed Tul has it right.

I've said it before, I'll say it again too... Tim's blade holder/heatsink/LED holder/emitter parts are literally "kill 5 birds with one stone parts". Waaaaaay worth their weight in gold.

To this day, I don't know of another $20-$40 part that can do all of that stuff as well as Tim's. I mean, sure if you have your own milling machine, lovely. But even then--getting the dimensions correct would be no walk in the park.

To Obi-Lan you listen! Mind you what you have learned! Save you it can!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide