Thread: a few El hilt questions

Default a few El hilt questions

I've started building my EL saber with parts ordered from TCSS, and have run into a few problems. I didnt get a nut with the mono female jack and im not sure how to attach it to the metal sink pipe to blade converter thing. Also, i have the battery, inverter, switch all connected correctly ( i think) but i decided against an LED in the hilt. Do i need a resistor? also, would converting from 9v into 18v make it brighter or just last longer? thanks

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You didn't get the nut for the mono jack? Are you sure the nut isn't on the jack? There should also be a washer with it. You have to have that to attach it to the bottom of the blade holder.

You do not need a resistor if you're not using an accent LED.

As for 18V, are you talking about getting the 9V to 18V adapter? You can make one of those yourself by getting a package of 9V clips and wiring them in series. This will give you 18V. It will make the EL wire brighter, though cut down on the life (of many thousands of hours :P ) of the EL wire, but you can't have the saber on for long periods of time, because you run the risk of overheating the inverter. It will not make the run time longer.

If you are looking for longer run times, you can wire 2 9V connectors in parallel, you will only have 9V coming out, so it won't be any brighter.

If you don't know what series and parallel wiring is, it's easy to look up and find a diagram.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

thanks for the info. the nut is definitely not on the jack, but i have an old amp that i can take the nut from. The adapter is what i was talking about, but i figured i'd do it like you said just by buying the clips. Could you give me an estimate on how long would be too long for the saber to be on (with the 18v conversion)? Thanks again for all the help!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I have no idea how long you can run an inverter on 18V, I've never done it.

I would say, if you feel the hilt getting rather warm where the inverter is, turn it off for a while and let it cool down. Just use some common sense in that case.

Someone else who's run an inverter at that voltage might know, and chime in.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Myself I would run 2 inverters and a 9V to each of them.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

it would take up too much space. but you can run it for a long time without worrying. ive had an old el saber for 3 years now runs off 18v and it still runs perfectly.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Good to know. Thanks, CD.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Just incase you're not sure what parallel and series circuits are. Series gives the current one path to follow. For example if you have two lightbulbs on a series circuit and one blows it keeps you from using the other bulb as well. A parallel circuit gives the current more than one path to follow. As another example, if the two bulbs were on a parallel circuit and one blows the other will be able to run on it's own without the other bulb. Don't know if you knew this already but incase you didn't here it is.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Be sure to not switch the input polarity to the inverter or it will kill it.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur
    Be sure to not switch the input polarity to the inverter or it will kill it.
    That would stink if that happened cause then you would have to buy new inverter.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.