Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: You say it's your birthday. It's my birthday too, yeah.

Default You say it's your birthday. It's my birthday too, yeah.

Well today's my 38th birthday. Man am I starting to feel old. Anyways, I share my birthday today with Harrison Ford, Patrick Stewart, Richard 'Cheech' Marin, and the late Bob Crane (you oldtimers like me might remember him of Hogan's Hero's fame). Happy Birthday to my fellow July 13th'ers (or whatever we are called)

On a very different note, today also marks the begining of the countdown towards my new life - I officialy put in my 30 day notice at work this morning. I am getting tired of living in Southern California, and the thought of raising my 3 year old son (his birthday was last Monday) here is not all that appealing to me and my wife. I have been doing the same job for 25 years now (working for the family business) and am growing very, very tired of it. The opportunity presented itself and I took it. I am moving my family to Idaho and starting my own prototype/short run machine shop. The great part is I will be running my business from the garage. So my work commute will consist of walking out the kitchen door and into the garage - much better than the hour long commute I have now. My wife will also be working from home and we will both have a hand in home schooling our son. I am getting very excited about the prospect of starting this new career.

Our home has been sold and we got word last night that all the major hurdles have been crossed and the buyer is just waiting for funding so we are 99% sure escrow will close next month. I already have my CNC mill, and today I will be stopping by the broker's shop to leave a deposit on a CNC lathe. Hopefully I will get settled and have my equipment up and running very quickly since I have a lot of people asking me to do work for them. I appoligize to all those who have contacted me lately about commisions but I have been very busy finishing all the home repairs, listing/showing/selling my home, and now undertaking the daunting task of packing all my crap up into little boxes (that seem to multiply every night when left alone in the garage).

Sorry for the long winded post, but after giving my notice today (my parent have known for a few months, but today makes it official), I am finally ready to close the first chapter on my life and begin to open the second.

Erik

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I hope you get all the work you need. Someday I'll probably ask you for some work again bigger than a heatsink.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Best of fortunes on your new journey. As one who experienced a major life change a couple of years ago (through divorce), I can say there is something scary and yet also very exciting about stepping out into the unknown.

When you get settled, the Maul sabers are ready to ship to you for a new coupler piece to be machined.

Crossing fingers that you close escrow with no problems and get the hell out of SoCal!

Happy B-Day Erik and I hope Idaho will be positive for your family.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Council Member
    Sith Lord

i hope your move goes well erik
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

aww. moving from cali? dang i coulda visited your shop before. oh well i wish you well in your move. and i hope we can get to start on that qui gonn pretty soon.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Congrats on your b-day! Also one thing I have allways known about wokring is that when its no fun anymore, its time to move on.

Good luck in your new line of work, some of your current pieces are really awsome and I hope I can get some parts from you in the future (Anakin buckles).
    Blue 4 "Im hit!"

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Good luck man

BLUE 3- Ready

Happy Birthday Ace, and May i be among the first to welcome you to my backyard, almost literally. Sorry for you Countdown that you did not get a chance to meet him, but unless he found a different place then whence we last spoke it puts him at about a 5 minute drive from my house. So happy birthday and welcome to my fair city Eric.
    FSM What's on your belt?

thats cool that hes only a 5 minute drive from your house. c&c machined goodness.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.