Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Saber Building Hazards

The blades are stainless so I don't have to worry about much with the swords. Once I get some money I'm gonna buy a pair of metal gauntlets for my hands. That way I can't stick myself on the hilt again. The claymore thing happened a year ago. The bb gun about 7 months ago. The hilt stick and shattering sword about a month or two ago. I don't have any wood daitos or I would use those to practice with. Still the worst that has ever happened is the claymore falling on the foot. Some of you may think I'm crazy and my cousin is crazy but that's something we do when we're not airsofting or I'm building a saber. Picked up my sword hobby about ten years ago when I was six. Still I try to be careful. All though there is still the occasional mishap just like there is with saber building.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Also, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after you handle solder. It's not just a breathing hazard, you don't want to ingest any lead by getting it in your mouth from it being on your fingers.
    Has anyone ever tried using the lead free plumbing solder on their electronics? I don't know if it would work without the flux in the core.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, I use it... I can get a nice roll for cheaper. It works just fine. A little harder to work with compared to the little stuff, but it won't harm you.

I really need to get some of the lower heat stuff though because sometimes big solder + large tip just doesn't work well for certain parts.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow
    No way... someone else was drilling something while holding it - slipped and drilled his palm - wasn't that Countdown???

MC
    That did happen to me, but i was doing something stupid in my earlier days of saber building. I was using my tap handle and a drill bit to try and drill because my impatient self couldnt wait until the next day. So I wound up with a hole in my hand. I also did remove my whole fingernail from a disk sander.

Also, one major hazard is when you are all finished with your lightsaber it can explode. You have to get that crystal just right and perfect.

And as im reading through this, yes Maul, I did unfortunately stab myself with a screw driver.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Never seen an exploding lightsaber before.

Although I hear Plasma could be good for that. I wanna duel against X-wing's plasma. Just kidding.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar

Although I hear Plasma could be good for that. I wanna duel against X-wing's plasma. Just kidding.
    The glass inner tube might shatter, but no explosion. :P Besides the plasma dealie... that was my first saber. I would duel with it, I've got other saber much better suited for it.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar

I was talking about a real lightsaber
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Here's something that could be a hazard. Soldering on your battery holder for example and picking up the board only to realize it's still hot as heck where you just soldered on the holder. Happened to me yesterday.

Gold 2 standing by.

I'm scared that you're using essentially display collector's swords for activities...I thought they were actually high-quality swords until you mentioned the buster, and then I knew it was gonna break as you were telling your story.

And yikes...drilling your hand ><. Ouch. The worst that's happened to me was right after dremelling off the end of a thumb-screw that was too long, I, like an idiot, touched the end of the screw. Got a nice welt on my thumb for that one.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

The guy I got the buster from never said that it was held together by that little of a screw. If I had known I would never have used it for stuff like that. The most I ever paid for a sword was actualy the 1st sword I bought, my claymore, which was $50. The rest of the swords were about $35 or under. All are stainless except for that new sword set I bought which are carbon steel. As far as my glass handled sword I don't do much with it since I saw how weak the interior of the hilt was. The green core piece is so weak it ain't funny. I stopped using it for stuff like that. I now have a good sword set of 2 swords that I use for cutting. Plus I know of a sword that can split a 1 inch branch off a tree like nothing. Too bad I can't talk my cousin into a trade of some kind for it. Still I'm going for a good rapier to play around with. Plus since I busted the tsuba on my double I've been looking for a longer double and eventualy I'll get another double and dual wield it with my shorter one. Sticking my hand is the worst I've ever had happen. You would think that since I've been messing with swords for 10 years I would've remembered where my hand was, but it prooves how even the more experienced swordsman can have an accident. I started messing with swords when I was 6 and got my claymore at 10. I'm 16 now so you can do the math.

Gold 2 standing by.