Thread: NOOB resistor question

Default NOOB resistor question

A friend of mine has an extra 2.2k 4w resistor, he says it will work like the 2.2ohm 5W Tim sells. I was curious if he was right? Also is 2.2 K the same as 2.2 ohm? I have a Green luxeon III and a 9v power supply. I know this is probly a major noob question so feel free to flame away. Thanks in advance for any help
    "I cannot change the past. I meant to do good. But the dark side is slippery, as you yourself should know. I tried to hide. I tried to die. And finally, I tried to atone." - Ulic Qel-Droma

Council Member
    Sith Lord

"k" in resistor talk means you move the decimal over on the resistance value 3 spots. it is shorthand for 1000

a 2.2k resistor is shorthand for 2200 ohms of resistance.

short answer = NO it will not work the same, your led will be VERY dim if you use it

a 2.2 ohm isn't the right resistor for a 3 watter with 9 volts. according to the chart you'll need a 5.6 ohm 10 watt resistor
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

cool thanks Maul. I thought it sounded weird. What i would need is a 5.6K 10W resistor. I think i'll just stick with the chart, less thinking involved.
    "I cannot change the past. I meant to do good. But the dark side is slippery, as you yourself should know. I tried to hide. I tried to die. And finally, I tried to atone." - Ulic Qel-Droma

Council Member
    Sith Lord

no, a 5.6 ohm resistor, not 5.6 k

and the cool thing about the chard is if you click on the resistor you need, it links you to it in the store
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

ok now it clicked. I think its time for another cup or two of coffee. 5.6ohm is like .0056K. Now I am curious, how large of a power source would you be hooking up to in order to need a 2.2k? LOL