Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: PhotonAlterations blade

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dralderlbot

I dont have the money to put down for one of those. But what of this crystal core technology ? Could we or possibly I try to duplicate a similiar result using LED's ? I'm still very confused because I'm not done reading through these post's and I have yet to build my first Lightsaber that doesnt consist of a child's toy one taken apart and screwed with to make it easier to wield , because you see , I have always had small hands . My next two Lightsaber's I hope to create are to be for my two brother's . More or less me showing them the options and letting them decide on their own how it will look in the end .
    But still my question remains . Does this crystal core technology really work better than LED's
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

He is using LEDs. I suspect "crystal core technology" is his fancy term for how he transfers the light from the LED to the emitter (which I mentioned before and speculate is a type of sideglow cable). His blades aren't really that special. Compare them to ultrasabers.com or the store here itself for reference.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Blog Entries

As xwingband stated, it is very likely sideglow fiber optic cable is inside the polycarbonate blade.

Here is the comercial hype one supplier says about their sideglow cable -

"Utilizing a recently perfected production process called continuous casting, Sideglow solid cable can now give off brilliant color clarity and a continuous bright light transmission that was not possible in earlier solid CORE fibers. A CRYSTAL clear Teflon sleeve gives high intensity brightness along the entire length of the optic cable."

I think Saberology got their "Crystal Core" idea from the quote above.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

http://www.geocities.com/projectstm/lightsaber.html

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I've never particularly liked the tone they deal with other saber builders either. They've had problems with "accidently" using Ultra's pics. They state they're going to make themselves known to the world, revolutionize the saber world, and other pompous claims. I don't know where he's pulling the money from because as far as I've seen he doesn't sell much, but he's stopping his business to go into "R&D" and has long claimed he will be having the best sound module around. He even has consulted lawyers because he thinks he'll get big enough that Lucas will try to sue him like Parks and Lightech...[)]

On his blades though: That blurb certainly gives some credence to the idea that they use sideglow. I've been curious to it's uses though. I'm not sure they use it for the whole blade. I've seen the pics that have it flare a few inches from the LED which he claimed demonstarted his "light transmission" technology (sideglow?) yet I've also heard some that have seen the blades in person say that they can flex like a fencing foil.

This has me quite confused. Sideglow in the hilt makes sense to me, but the other claim has me wondering. I've heard from Corbin though that sideglow is good but the closest diameter doesn't fit well in any tube being off by a few mm which causes it to rattle in the blade.

<center>

Hmm......I looked into trying (side-emitting) fibre-optics last summer, and the stuff I found was crazy expensive. Needless to say, I never bought any to test.

<center>
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/</center>

Hello,
    I just googled some info on side emmiting fiber optics as I hadnt heard of it before. From what I gather it doesnt look as bright as LED but that might have just been the pics I saw. It also said "two standard diameter of 19.3mm & 25.5mm" unless I am reading my converion chart wrong, wouldnt that make them to thick to fit into the polyc tubes? I also saw that they need a generator to run, small it was but not near as small as it would need to be to fit in a hilt.

Edit- I just found a site selling it in 1/2" dia. so I guess you can find it thinner, but at $7.50 per foot not including the generator unit- FORGET THAT! Tim with his EL wire and Luxeon LEDs has the market cornered for brightness and affordabilty.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Blog Entries

Tim's 1 inch OD polycarb tubes have an ID of 3/4 inch. Most 3/4 inch OD polycarb tubes I have seen and worked with have an ID of 5/16 inch. The closest fit I have seen for solid core side glow is 1/2 inch dia. At best, this would give 1/32 of space between the inside wall of a 3/4 polycarb tube and the fiber optic cable. This would explain the rattle.

But since we are dealing with luxeon, I figure a 1 inch OD polycarb would be prefered. That would mean a 1/8 inch of space all around the fiber optic cable and the inside wall of the polycarb tube. Plus, it would also mean a thin glowing blade.

I guess this could be fixed by using Gelu's clear film idea to fill the space between the fiber optic and the polycarb.

About the flare at the base of the blade in Saberology's pictures. Here is a picture of a Luxeon Driver designed for fiber optic use.

As you can see from the picture, the sideglow fiber optic cable has flare right where it connects into the "illuminator" - that's what they call it in the fiber optic market. The illuminator is called the NovaBright and uses Luxeon 3 LEDs. It is specifically designed to give a tight interface between the cable the the illuminator thus reducing side spill of light.

For our purposes the "illuminator" would be our hilts. The interface would not be as good as the NovaBright so there will be a lot of side spill = large flare.

I'm willing to try making one. It's just gonna have to wait a few months due to high cost. One thing is for sure, I can make it for a lot less than the 90 bucks saberology is asking for.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

http://www.geocities.com/projectstm/lightsaber.html

I understand the topic much more due to your explaination , thankyou .
    I think that tim's price's are definitely the best when it comes to affordability and function . though I have never seen one . But I think his LED kit is exactly what Iam looking for for now . I just want something impressive and functioning , and the brightness of it can be brighter ,but it only needs to be enough to captivate the imagination of my 11 and 13 year old brother's . For me of course , Im less picky .I was'nt even thinking of having my saber being lit . simply a colored acryllic blade , because I think I would ruin it . But you never know . I just need to start .
    Anyways thank you guys for elaborating on the subject for me .

I won a advanced light/saberology saber on ebay, and just got it Monday. I have to say that the hilt is what makes the saber. I'm really not all that impressed with my blade though. It't nice and light in weight and more of the width of a 3/4 el blade. Honestly, its not as bright as the MR FX conversion I had done from Ultra. There is really nothing inside the blade that differs from others I've seen. Just a mirror tip at the top and film around the inside. I'm not sure if there is something inside the hilt near the led to make a difference.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Would you be opposed to telling us how that blade is even remotly duelable. Hyperdyne is working on the LEDs in the blade and is keeping it all hush, hush...

P.S. if those pics aren't edited get a new camera because it's a POS[][]

<center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

This is phosphor coatings like what they do on neon tubes to change the colors? What would be the light source? Still LEDs?

I believe I've seen that picture already somewhere...

<center>