Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing with stuck or difficult MHS threads

I picked up a couple of thread files and through trial and error figured out the answer to the question I didn't know how to ask :)

The thread frequency/number/count/thingy seems to be 18 on the file. Not sure how that corresponds to metric/sae bolts/pipes/whatever but it appears to work. (you can see I am of the brute force school of hardware).

The male parts are slowly but surely beginning to fit without sticking. Thank you vortextwist for pointing me in the right direction.

Now onto the next question, is there a corresponding tool for female thread or a trick to using these inside the tube? The way the teeth are cut on these files they seem to be pretty much dedicated to the male side... I am looking at pipe tap sets, I suspect the 18 from the file corresponds to the 'NPT' rating on these, I guess the danger of just retapping these pieces is that they may or may not correspond to a standard plumbing interior diameter?

Yay tools!

(It is a wonder I have kept all my fingers)

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

maybe take a male section and browse the tool store. if you can get the right one for that then would be easy to get for the female end.

BLUE 3- Ready

Anybody figure out the correct tap to make the female threads. I am working on a project and need to tap the female end to accept the MHS parts.

And I agree telon tape works great.

I got my first MHS parts from UPS today, they are quite beautiful. I checked them over and drooled just a little, then I decided to screw them together. The hilt looks great even without anything attached. Then I went to take it apart... and the pommel is stuck to the hilt tube. It is currently soaking in a coffee cup full of oil. I hope it comes undone.
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

Quote Originally Posted by strengthofrage
    I got my first MHS parts from UPS today, they are quite beautiful. I checked them over and drooled just a little, then I decided to screw them together. The hilt looks great even without anything attached. Then I went to take it apart... and the pommel is stuck to the hilt tube. It is currently soaking in a coffee cup full of oil. I hope it comes undone.
    So far the best luck I have had is with the freezer method, so if the oil doesn't help try (after cleaning all the oil off :) sticking it in the freezer overnight.

Thanks Ghostbat, I just took it out of the oil, cleaned it off and then took your advice with the cold method. I wrapped my hand around the female end and ran the pommel under the cold tap water. It worked. Thanks for the tips, I am once again a happy man.

P.S. I don't think I can ever use sink tube again, MHS rules.

I am once again a very upset man...

I have been working on this for about a month. My shroud is complete, I wet sanded the hilt, I used the dremel to polish it and used some Mothers aluminum polish I got tonight. It looked perfect. I washed it with dish soap to get the junk off and I cleaned the threads. I twisted the blade holder onto the ribbed section and.... stuck. It is now sitting in a cup of oil. I am a very unhappy man.

All is well. Penetrating oil = salvation.

I have two suggestions:

1. strenghtofrage, please use the edit button... I realize that the posts are a couple of days apart, but you've got some serious triple postage going on there.

2. Adding to the information; I have found that a nice light sewing machine oil, or a silicone based lubricant works nicely to keep your threads happy.

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

I wander if it has to do with something the machine shop is doing? The first mhs me and my bought, no probs with threads. Has a little issue with some new parts but nothing extream.

BLUE 3- Ready