Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: simplified PLI

If the Falcon landed in my backyard, I would leave the LED saber, grab a real one from onboard, and then tell Han that he's in my seat. :P

For the record, I'm GLAD to be "wrong" on this point, hahahaha.

And besides, you all know that I like the "bling" too... and no I am not knocking anyone's ideas! Erv knows this better than anyone. I guess I can certainly say that at least the single LED is much less obtrusive than the "line" of them, echoing Ace's thoughts.

Hmm... maybe ONE day an LED "array" or bargraph won't have to take so darn much space!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Nova I think your opinion was well voiced and didn't see that as being obstrusive to the whole concept.

Erv, when I'm done moving, I'll have to get this with the v2.5... I also have to get an activation matrix box to put a switch and 1-led PLI.
    I'm thinkint 1 in-sync with the blade, and 1 pli. This should be perfect for the 2 arrows in the Luke EP-6 matrix. I think I'll get one of those.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

What the heck is an activation matrix? Sounds cool... a new kind of switch? Or a fancy one?
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Like an activation plate with a power conduit box on it.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

4th answer of google image search for Activation Matrix:

-Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Oh, right right... the calculator bubbles.

I thought it might have been an ACTUAL switch that did something... je suis desole'....

Nice work, as always, Erv.

I've been meaning to try something similar with my ongoing MR Darth Maul conversion. (The Maul has two little resin domes to the right of each half-hilt that I strongly suspect were intended to stand in for real LEDs to begin with. They have exactly the right shape, and they're 5 millimeters in diameter.)

They domes on the shipping saber are completely inert, but they turn out to be not too hard to drill out, either. (Moo hoo ha ha.) Now all I have to do is pick and program a microcontroller to drive the actual LEDs I'm going to replace them with.

Incidentally, if you want to have the whole palette of colors at your disposal, the good folks at Super Bright LEDs will be happy to sell you some 5mm tri-color LEDs, with your choice of common cathode or anode, and diffuse or water clear finish.

(I hope that posting a link to the above vendor is kosher, since it's with respect to a product Tim doesn't currently sell.)

is there room in there to rig leds and the batt pack and switch/controller to run them?

its interesting idea. i still have to convert my maul yet. so busy getting the vader and jedi costumes all done. and it'll be after october before i can get the parts im betting.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

Hey erv any news on if this is gonna work out as a viable product? I would be very intrested in one on my next saber.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics