Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Understanding lens degrees

Just a random thought: Would there be any point/benefit in combining a reflector with a lens?
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Corbin (essentially) did something like this for me when designing and building the sabers for BOP I in 2006.

What he did was obviously use the optics in the emitter/mount... but inside the BLADE (in the ~2" portion that would not be seen by your eyes when the blade is actually in the mount/emitter)... he placed some reflective tape.

Now, for all I know--it doesn't make a big difference... but when I was playing around testing... it seemed to make a minor difference TO ME. Maybe it was the "if the mind believes it" thing, but... hey...

...it certainly can't HURT!

As to using an actual reflector cone/part WITH the lenses/optics... that would take some extra room, and you would certainly need to modify many parts, including the emitter--or make your own.

Doing it the way Corbin did this for a few of our blades--well, it seems to be an easy and useful idea.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Yeah, as Novastar said, I sometimes would add some reflective material in the base of the blade with the reflective surface facing inward. It was supposed to help with the "sidespill" and to keep the base flare from getting to out of control. It helps a little bit I feel, but not a whole lot. If you have two blades right next to each other, then you might see the difference, but otherwise, it's subjective.
    As far as using the stock reflectors with the stock optics, I'm not sure how well that would do. Both are made to sit right on top of the Luxeon emitter, and both obviously can't be in the same position at the same time.

Fair enough, 'twas just a thought anyway. I had thought of something like the reflective tape but wasn't sure how much differnce it would make.

To add to the 2" of reflector tape kinda thinking... I like it--it adds brightness (IMHO), and can also be used to better stabilize diffuser film types (such as Corbin style, Ultra/Gelu style, Erv mixture, etc.) in place.

If I had it my way, all of my blades would be done this way. As it is... Gundamaniac and I are trying to get just that kind of thing done to ALL of the blades I have... which is like 20+ right now.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

I agree Nova.
    I do that to all my blades too. I'm actually trying to find something super reflective that fits in the base of the blade and will act to hold the film in place as well as focus the light better. I've been looking for quite some time. No luck yet, short of having it custom machined, which I'm about ready to do if nothing else shows up.

Corbin

I think the tape is the best solution for the price.

Or, you could find a cylindrical (yet somewhat thin) piece of steel/metal/aluminum at a hardware store, shine the inside of it like nuts with some kind of buffing/fine grade sanding setup... and there you have it.

But--it seems like cost must always figure in to things... for example, what good would $15 tips be? Certain items are worth extra money... others--are not.

Well since I already have some sticky aluminium tape and the cellophane I put in my blade (single wrap corbin) is a bit lose, I think I'll try this.

Right on! And... the reflective tape can act as a good material to put onto "empty" saber tips, too.

Sometimes--it's all about spending LESS on the unimportant parts... and MORE on the big ones...

Corbin, thanks for the post, great information. i was actually going to order a 10 degree optic for my saber but will now go to a 5 which i thought would be insufficient. i generally use a long blade as i am tall, about 38-40 inches for single sabers, and 32-35 for saber staffs. i have not yet built my own saber, so i would have had to learn the hard way if it wasnt for your post, so thank you for the good info and great comparison pictures..