Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Gon's RLSA EL saber conversion (CF V4)

Default Jay Gon's RLSA EL saber conversion (CF V4)

I posted it on F/X-Sabers' forums, and thought I'd share this with you guys, too!
    Since I finished converting my son's RLSA to an F/X type saber, I had some time to start on another project I've been wanting to do; converting my blue bladed EL RLSA saber to a Luxeon with F/X!

This saber started out as a simple EL saber with no sound:

It wasn't very bright, so I decided to convert it to a Luxeon saber with F/X sound! I took it apart and got started:
    Here's the blade holder. This was the first thing I had to modify:

I started out by putting it in the drill press and drilling a 7/8" hole for the optics to sit in. I then realized that there wouldn't be enough clearance for the screws on the TCSS heatsink I used to mount the led, so I went up to a 1" drill bit:

I also drilled and tapped the emitter for #4-40 threads for the mounting screws that will hold the led mount:
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 11-04-2008 at 07:44 AM. Reason: dead picture links-now fixed!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

The led mount/heatsink was a bit too big for the inside diameter of this hilt, so I took it to the bench grinder and ground it down till it fit nice and snug, and assembled it with the led:

I also drilled and tapped it to match the holes in the emitter and put it together:

I had to snip off the edges of the screws with my diagonal cutting pliers to make it fit into the hilt, but it works.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

My next step was converting to solid pommel over to a speaker pommel. I started with this:

I laid out the hole pattern on the pommel face and marked the center of each hole with a punch:

I put it in the drill press and started drilling! I first did a 3/16th hole in the center of the pommel to help align the larger drill bits.

I flipped it over, then moved up to a 1/2", a 7/8" and finally, the 1" bit:
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 09-24-2008 at 02:55 PM.

After drilling it out, I flipped back over, and finished the hole pattern:

I also did the pommel for my son's training saber at the same time, while everything was set-up. His turned out better than mine because I did it second and learned from some mistakes. I'm not sure what happened to my hole pattern, but it works, even though it looks kinda funny.....
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 09-24-2008 at 02:56 PM.

The next step was to change the switch. Not only was it goofy looking, but it wasn't in the best position on the saber:

I considered where it was to be the "bottom" of the hilt, so I drilled the hole more forward and moved it to the "top." I put the saber body in the drill press and drilled out a 3/8 inch hole so that I could use the stock switches found at the TCSS store. Everything was just about ready, so I decided to look for a sound board. I intend to eventually install Ultrasound, but an MR would do in the meantime. I picked up an Anakin F/X board from Vortextwist . (thanks again!)

The soundboard arrived, so it was time to get started wiring it up:

I hot-glued the clash sensor to the board after shortening the wires a bit. I also hot-glued the switch, battery, and speaker wire to the board to prevent them pulling off during installation.
    I was out of 4- AAA battery holders and so was my local Radio Shack, so I wired together two 2-AAA battery holders instead:

I soldered everything up and tested it out:
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 11-04-2008 at 08:02 AM.

It came out pretty nice!
    I got everything installed and took a few pictures:

You can see the new location for the switch in those above pics. It's in the perfect position between my hands on the hilt now:

This is a better pic of where the old switch was and the new location:

Here's the speaker pommel and the goofy looking hole pattern:
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 09-24-2008 at 02:57 PM.

And now the "money" shots!

The blade is, of course, a 3/4" thin-walled polyC tube with Corbin's blade diffuser and led is a Luxeon III blue.

Here's a short video demo of how this sounds:

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

I love how you put the clash sensor in that spot, I didn't even think of it. Nice man.

BLUE 3- Ready

Very cool man.

Sucks about the pommel thou. maybe down the road you can figure out what to do about eliminating that mistake.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Awsome job man very good moding.I love the Ani mr board more than any other,imo it has the best saber sound.
    "aaah... general kenobi.... you are a bold one."-general grievous

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qymaen_jai_sheelal

Proud owner of the first two Darth Maul conversion kits! Thanks Tim!