Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painting your Saber

Default Painting your Saber

I'm building my saber, and I am painting a few of the parts, grip, pummel, ect. And I used what I thought was a good silver paint, primmer and all that. But once I handled it a few times it turned from silver to grey. I repainted and then used a spary sealer that made all the paint come off. =( The Black is fine, but I am having issues with the silver, anyone have any ideas?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

What kind of material are you trying to paint on top of?

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

What kind of material are you trying to paint on top of?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I am painting plastic pollywashers. I used a special plastic primer on that one. And I am also painting sections of the metal sink tube.

Wash all parts in mild ivory dish soap, even the metal. Dry them and give the plastic a LIGHT sanding, 400 grit should do. Prime, wait 2hrs, light sand again ALL parts to be painted, then another coat of primer. Keep the coats light, it comes out rough and spotty but that's OK. Wait at least 12 hours from then to begin your final painting. Again, just mist your first coat of color. You can wait and either sand again or paint over the first coat depending on your desired gloss level. For good gloss results, put a box over your parts as they dry, less dust and the solvents offgas more slowly.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Erik

Wash all parts in mild ivory dish soap, even the metal. Dry them and give the plastic a LIGHT sanding, 400 grit should do. Prime, wait 2hrs, light sand again ALL parts to be painted, then another coat of primer. Keep the coats light, it comes out rough and spotty but that's OK. Wait at least 12 hours from then to begin your final painting. Again, just mist your first coat of color. You can wait and either sand again or paint over the first coat depending on your desired gloss level. For good gloss results, put a box over your parts as they dry, less dust and the solvents offgas more slowly.

Ooo thats very helpful. One thing is I am not going for gloss. Going for a flat/satin. Wanted it to look more 'used' but I will give that a shot this weekend.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

When painting make sure you follow the instuctions as far as wait time between coats and gloss.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

When painting make sure you follow the instuctions as far as wait time between coats and gloss.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

That is SO the truth. Also I found out, from the company, that the metal hammered paint that I am using does not need an over coat, because its already in the paint. Just do a couple good coats, and you are good to go. =) SO happy days. Sad thing is I have to wait several days to PLAY with it! The Horror!

So... anyone know how to make a saber gold?

Ah.............gold. Grrrrrrr........

Last summer, I bought this spray can that claimed to be gold chrome, both in writing AND in the color of the lid. I roughed up the sink tube, sprayed a few layers of primer, and then a few layers of this gold spray. Yes, I waited between coats for thorough drying. Anyway, it is not even CLOSE to chrome - no hint at all. It's just gold-coloured.[!]

http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/

Check out the thread on finishing services. Someone mentioned a paint company and gave a good link to them. I'm sorry for not quoting directly. But they have a finish that is the best I've ever seen in gold. It's a bit pricey, but you could probably do a few sabers in gold with one can.