Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: RGB hilt wiring

erm, yeah...that brings up a similar question to Lord Maul's. i don't care much about a sound board, but i was thinking of doing a driver (corbin's i think?) would i need to do a driver for each led(3)? or one for all of them(1)?
    Never Examine Surprised Wombats!

[!!!!!!!!!(#==============

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre
    I would say use a 4.8V rechargable pack with recharge port then get an mr board and forgo the resistors.
    can you even power a RGB with a MR board?
    That's what Gelu did...

If you went with Corbin's you'd need three of the 350mA drivers. Unless Corbin has a few lying around I'm not sure where in the world you'd get them... not to mention that you'd need three PWM dimmers to make dialable colors.

On my own RGB I just got some nice sliding pots. Too bad they are small and metric... meaning I'm going to have to order some of the screws.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

wow, looks like i jumped in over my head for my first saber. i don't mind a challenge though. do i even need a board? will it 'hurt' anything if i only do a resistor and a pot for each?

No you will be fine its just snagging an mr board will make things a little bit easyer.

but a resistor setup will be fine.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

tag. I've been wanting to do this for a long time now. I'm very interested in seeing how it turns out.

ok, here's a newbie question(s), for the mhs blade holders, do you still need a thumb-screw for the blade? and then, i've searched quite a bit without any results, how does the heatsink stay in place?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

yes, you do need a thumbscrew on the blade holders, that's what holds the blade in the holder.

the heatsink is sandwiched in between the male and female threading of the two MHS pieces.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

ok, i'm a little confused in choosing which pots and resistors. i read on a different rgb thread that this is the pot i would need to use (for the prolight rgb led). is this correct?
    potentiometers

here's the page for the led:
    led

it says that reverse voltage (not quite sure what that means) is 5.0 volts. does that mean i need a battery that is equal or greater than 5.0 volts? i think i'll go with a 7.2 v rechargable battery anyway. but just asking.

assuming i go with a 7.2 volt battery, and using an online resistor wizard, i got that i'll need:
    red: The wizard recommends a 1.8 Watt capable or greater 15 ohm resistor. The color code for 15 ohms is brown green black.
    green: The wizard recommends a 1.5 Watt capable or greater 12 ohm resistor. The color code for 12 ohms is brown red black.
    blue: The wizard recommends a 1.5 Watt capable or greater 12 ohm resistor. The color code for 12 ohms is brown red black.

tim can make custom battery packs and I wouldent go to large considering that resistor needs to bleas off all that excess heat that the pack is pushing thru. the pots should be fine.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

ok, i suppose i'll try to find a smaller battery, but...will a 4.8 volt battery work for a 5.0 volt reverse current led?

p.s. i'm also putting a PLI and an accent led on the hilt, does this change anything with the battery?