Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: RGB hilt wiring

Before. You need what ever resistor/s for what ever battery setup you have.

Remember its a 3W led well 3 1Watts anyway.

So wouldent you need to use one resistor for a red one watt a resistor for a green one watt and one for a blue one watt?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

ok, well i guess i need to start putting specifics in. where would the resistor for the rgb led go?
    Never Examine Surprised Wombats!

[!!!!!!!!!(#==============

Council Member
    Sith Lord

right before the pots, and you would only need one.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

NO! A resistor for each. The Red LED is a different voltage... plus if you think about that seriously it wouldn't work well to have one resistor.

It doesn't matter whether you resistor before or after the pot. I always mentally like to put it before, but it doesn't make an ounce of difference.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

The pot is a variable resistor so altering it changes the resistence value. Unfortunately they usually have a minimum of zero. Thats why you need a normal fixed value resistor for each one to provide a safe minimum value (ie the brightest output). Then as you turn the pot it increses the resistence thereby dimming the led wafer.
    Phil Higgins

ok, thanks everyone! i suppose i need to choose a battery pack. i'm looking at rechargables, and there are a few different ones. there are 4.8 and 7.2 volt packs, pros and cons of each? and with each of those, there are 1000 and 2600 mAh (does that stand for milli-amperes?). what would the differences be?

for my hilt, i'm doing mhs parts, a hilt and a ribbed extension piece (are these female-female ends? because the picture looks like female-male.)

the higher the MaH is the longer life per charge on the batteries will last.

the volts is the main concern. as long as say, you need a 4.8 volt amount, you can have whatever size of mah. the higher that is the better. they last longer the bigger that number is.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

ok, well i'm trying to figure out what voltage i need. i looked at the led stats, and it says the typical forward voltages are: 3.4 v , 2.4 v , 3.4 v and the reverse voltage is 5 volts. would this all mean i need a power source greater than 5 volts?

I would say use a 4.8V rechargable pack with recharge port then get an mr board and forgo the resistors.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Hasid Lafre
    I would say use a 4.8V rechargable pack with recharge port then get an mr board and forgo the resistors.
    can you even power a RGB with a MR board?
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!