Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: battery issues

Default battery issues

hey guys, im not to smart on batteries and power usage and all that stuff...
    so basically:

i know my 5w cyan or green is using 6x1.5 (AA Batteries)
    this = 9V right?

so why not just use a 9v battery and save weight and space?
    because it wouldnt last as long as 6 x AA right?

so what other options do i have here....my graflex will not fit the 6xAA pack
    because its so tall and i am using graflexshop.com heatsink/blade holder (not cause i hate tcss lol, because my graflex is different, its just the head piece and i needed graflexshops parts because his heat sink is like 4 inches long, so i can bolt on sink tube and the graflex head piece...anyways)

Well, a lone 9v battery does not have the same energy density as the 6AA configuration. And yes, 6AA = 9v (1.5 x 6 = 9, a.k.a. 3 x 3).

If you can't fit 6AA, you could try 6AAA--but again, that would likely be another drop in run-time.

What better fits a Luxeon V (6.85 fwd v) is a Li-Ion setup @ 7.2 or 7.4v. Granted, they are more expensive, and you'd want to wire in a recharge port (not hard to do)... but it might be more ideal especially if you're going direct-drive.

9v is overkill for a 6.85 fwd v. Although with a DRIVER board (are you using one?) that might be good.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

A 9v battey will last maybe 15 minutes.

Your best option will be getting a 2-cell li-ion pack putting out 7.2/7.4v and powering the 5w led with a driver, for constant current. There are different physical sizes of 2-cell packs; the larger it is, the higher the mah, meaning longer battery life.
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

ahhh i see, well im using a resistor for this 1, its just a quick luke ANH dueler for guests...so im not going heavy on electronics.

so i definitely cant fit 6xAA....so can i still get some LithIons to use with that resistor if i match the specs of 6xAA? or what...

Well sence your using a sinktube for the rest why not make it a little longer?

The 7.2V AA rechargable batery pack sold here is only 4" long.

If you dont want to put in a rechage port cause of space then all you need to do is set it up so you can take the pack out easly and then plug it into the recharger.

Just need to find the other end of thoes style plugs for the hilt so you can plug your pack into it.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

ya the thing is its a luke ANH from a graflex head...so i dont want to stray far from the original design.

could i not get a battery pack that has 6xAA
    but 3x3?

similar to the MR battery pack.

Iam not sure about that.

But I know that all you got is the head piece Iam talking about making the hilt just a wee bit longer sence your using a sinktube.

How big is the heatsink on TGS heatsink?

Iam 100% sure you can trim it down.

ya im pretty much settles here with this problem, i dont want to change much, because the hilt is already built, the TGS pieces are on the way, and if i recall the blade holder + heat sink is massive, which is good for my purposes @ about 4-5" total...

so
    4-5" (heatsink/bladeholder)
    1" (resistor/button/wiring(roughly))
    + battery ??

total size available from head piece to bottom of hilt is
    9.5"

i need a battery about 4 inch max....