Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mounting a speaker

Yup, having some of the sound come from behind the speaker does help, Novastar can attest to that.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

yes, djbordie... you'll want to read this entire thread, as many answers abound...

Also, Jay... how funny--that sounds EXACTLY like the two sabers I created for the "Alexandra Novastar" character--Seraphim v1 and v2. Not surprisingly, they have a similar resonance chamber, and do not just shoot the sound out the "butt" of the saber, hheheh
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

hahahaha on another note, i just got like 50 free 1"-1.25" speakers ranging from .5w - 1.5w high quality too.

hahah i love "samples"
    one company even gave me 20 for free, i hope they good

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar
    Good question. I seriously doubt it, unless you are literally pressing the speaker *directly* against the SD card. Even then--that is why the SD card is shielded in plastic (think like old 3.5" floppy disks).

Back in the 5.25" days, those disks were fairly idiotic, as they were fairly easy to destroy with a magnet.

Anyhow--put about 0.25" or more of space between your speaker and the electronics and you should be good even if it WAS some awful issue.
    Not to mention the fact that while those 5.25" and 3.5" disks stored data magnetically, the SD card stores its bits electrically, in a series of NAND flash cells. While I'm reluctant to call anything impervious to a magnetic field, flash comes close for all practical purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by djbordie
    so the whole film canister is a decent idea for space? or is it better to get something made frmo stronger material...
    I did some experimenting recently using tubes I rolled myself from a sampling of different materials: heavy laminated paper, thin aluminum sheet cut from the wall of a soda can, and polyethylene terephthalate (PETE) cut from a 2-liter soda bottle.

Of these, the PETE seemed to be the best option. The aluminum seemed to produce a slightly tinnier sound, not surprising given how thin it was. The PETE offered better bass, along with a stiffness that made it the easiest to work with and secure the speakers to.

The sections I made fit snugly inside an MHS pommel, meaning that they're approximately 1 and 3/32 of an inch in diameter. I likewise made them 1 and 3/32 of an inch high, just to be goofily consistent.

I wrote some PostScript code to produce the templates, if you can justify calling something that prints rectangles of predetermined dimensions a "template". If anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll post it.

(Edit: replaced mistaken references to HDPE with references to the correct plastic, PETE.]

That's pretty cool Steeljack... great stuff! And yeah, duh I should have thought about mentioning the SD being electrical as opposed to magnetic, but... yup the general jist is no a speaker magnet won't affect it except by nutty anomaly.

I think it would be cool if people DID come up with some semi-scientific experiments regarding better or worse sound cavities. I remember mentioning something about this somewhere else (maybe on TF.n), but people seemed to think it was too much work for a speaker... which it just might be.

Still... my thoughts on sound are simple: if 50% of the experience is sound for your saber... why the heck would you focus the least attention upon it??

Most people focus on the light, but most of that is taken care of by the right driving and diffuser. Sound is a lot more tricky. Especially if you don't have a high-powered miniature!

ANyhow...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide