Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a speaker

Default Mounting a speaker

I've browsed the forums looking for an answer to this but no luck. I would love to hear from the masters here, about the different ways to mount a speaker in the hilt so that it doesn't bounce around inside. Be it MHS, sinktube, or custom. Just looking for ideas.

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

I hot glued mine to the bottom of the batt pack. Mine fits pretty snug in there so it doesn't move around.

BLUE 3- Ready

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I've done that too with double sided tape.

You could also attach it to your resonance chamber if you have one. Setscrew it or again glue it in.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Generally, you want space in "front" of and "behind" your speaker. Doesn't have to be a ton.

If you can, you want some sort of... cylindrical shaped items that you can pit the speaker between... think like a black plastic film canister--you know... the ones you can store quarters in?

Here's the general idea.

Resonance cavity length is not SUPER important, but you don't want only 0.25", and you certainly don't need 1.5"!!

I didn't do the Flange sabers exactly this way, but it's effectively the same thing...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

some pill bottles work pretty good too
    "vibrations within vibrations, traveling at the speed of color"

"I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Exactly... that's the idea, good call!

In fact, some "extra" parts of the plastic housing from cannibalizing an MR will keep you all set with plastic cylindrical junk for at least a saber or two.

It's not good to glue it into the hilt, as if you ever need to do repairs or you wish to replace the speaker... well... it's a pain.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Here's what I did, same thing that Vortextwist and X-wing are talking about:

Simple and effective, if you're not trying to fill a stage with sound!

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Right Jay... that works, only problem is about 50% of your sound is "blocked".

It may be a surprise to many, but sound comes out from BOTH sides of a high-powered miniature speaker. Try mounting one "backwards" one day. $10 says you are unlikely to notice the difference.

I am not sure why this is, but it could be simply because the current is constantly being "reversed" (so-to-speak) when stuff is sent to a speaker... which is what makes it vibrate, I believe. In a nutshell. Horribly simplified.

I took a section of the old MR luke casing that hd the screw still on it. then tapted it togeather so it owuld fit snug into the mhs, then for added help to keep the speaker inplace a couple dabs of hot glue.

When I can I will get a pic of it. It acts as a mount and a tiny resinance chamger
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar
    It may be a surprise to many, but sound comes out from BOTH sides of a high-powered miniature speaker. Try mounting one "backwards" one day. $10 says you are unlikely to notice the difference.

I am not sure why this is, but it could be simply because the current is constantly being "reversed" (so-to-speak) when stuff is sent to a speaker... which is what makes it vibrate, I believe. In a nutshell. Horribly simplified.

Speakers work by the alternation of current from + (positive) to - (Negative). There's 2 magnets in a speaker, one is usually a rare earth magnet (like in most cell phones and small speakers) or just very large (say, DJ equipment or a sub-woofer) and the other is an electro magnet.

When you wire up a speaker you're wiring the electromagnet. And when you play sound through it you are very rapidly changing the e-magnet polarity, as stated above. This makes the e-magnet become attracted (Hey baby!) and repelled (Get out of here dirt bag!) very, very quickly, over and over again.

The result is the e-magnet moving back and forth very quickly and with it the diaphragm (the part that you see covering the face of the speaker). This is what shakes the air molecules and produces sound. The faster this happens the higher the pitch, the slower this happens, the lower the pitch.

Some speakers need the resonance chamber to increase back pressure on the diaphragm to help control its movement and improve sound quality. Each speaker is different in this aspect, so experimentation is key.

With the speakers sold here the Bass is projected by both the front and the back side of the speaker, however the mid-high ranges are projected from the front.

More room on the back side of the speaker generally produces more low range frequencies (bass) while more room in the front will accentuate the mid-range and will help cut down on the obnoxiously loud, ear piercing highs.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...