Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Luxeon Rebel discussion

Ah I see. I musta read into it to far....again.

But its cool, Whats your thoughts on how soon we can use these for single led saber applications?

How hard would it be to maybe mount the rebel on a pcb and thermal glue it to a star blank? would there be enought room on the starblank for the nylon screws with the pcb glued to it?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I just got my order of them...

Dang! Even the penny comparison doesn't tell how small these buggers are. The diode itself isn't too much smaller to my eye, but the whole package is incredible.

I can't wait to put these in my sabers.

EDIT: I don't yet have an easy way of comparing them, but in an eye test the 3/4" blades benefit from these optics nicely. I really won't miss the 1" blade on my EL conversions.

I don't have a good 1" setup to try these optics yet, but I think once I can get these up the blade it should work better.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Alternative Rebel on board source (13mm board - I kind of prefer this one)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4622

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nice, but being a flashlight place I bet they're only carrying the white. What bin is it specifically? Same as their emitter stock?

The LED-tech.de ones certainly look nicer to me. They have optics also so as long as you can get their lowest shipping rate it is a good deal. Plus they have other colors if they get some nicer bins I'll be all over it too.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I'm not sure, Kyle didn't answer his phone when I called a half hour ago. That's probably because it's like 3 AM there or some such.

When I do talk to him, I'm going to ask about getting those in color. Also about the new Seoul 1000mAh in royal(dental) blue.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, I'm going to be working with someone to outfit a saber with Erv's board and I will be using Rebels.

As a demo I set up the 90 lumen version up. I maxed it with a buckpuck so it's probably closer to 130 lumens.

Honestly, I'm SOLD! I'm reflow soldering them in the meantime, but I'm not going to use anything but them from know if I can. If the better bin delivers I won't look back (I have the 145 lumen greens on the way).

Here's a pic in a dark room. I used beach settings with flash. As you can tell it's still bright.

http://www.incomsabers.com/images/100_0637.JPG
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Copy that, X!

Let us know what you find! I'm sure it will be a step up, as the beauty of saber technology... is that it changes every few months!

I myself am surprised to see where it's gone from June 2006 to the present. Astounding.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm really psyched. I can't wait to get my 145 lumen green and push it to the 1A level.

Only issue I encountered was that little bugger put out more heat than expected, but it's allowable junction temperature is MUCH higher than the norm.

Output was good and consumption is good. If the high bin is putting out as claimed I'm going to ditch my III's.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

mmmm... that's interesting. do you have pics in dark room condition? maybe comparative pics with something else?
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It was just a test so I took it apart. It was in a dark room though, just with flash.
    RED LEADER Standing by!