Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: has any body constructed a "force touch" saber?

Default has any body constructed a "force touch" saber?

For example instead of having a switch you just touch a specific part of the saber to activate it. I was thinking about doing something like this but using those cheap self install door alarms that use the magnets as a switch. Have one inside the hilt and one in a glove.

Instead of a glove you could set up an activation plate. It would have a switch under the pressure plate but it wouldn't be visible.
    "Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can."

Or you could use a touch sensitive lamp switch, but you would have to be careful to isolate your activation plate from the rest of the saber, as it is aluminum and electrically conductive. The biggest problem though is with the possibility... indeed the extremely high probability, of accidentally turning the saber on and off if you used any sort of "touch sensitive" switch. It is much better to go with a standard push button, toggle, rotary or slide switch instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    Or you could use a touch sensitive lamp switch, but you would have to be careful to isolate your activation plate from the rest of the saber, as it is aluminum and electrically conductive. The biggest problem though is with the possibility... indeed the extremely high probability, of accidentally turning the saber on and off if you used any sort of "touch sensitive" switch. It is much better to go with a standard push button, toggle, rotary or slide switch instead.
    I totally agree with you but you have to admitt. It would be really really cool....

You want a piezo switch. I think Parks had something along these lines once. I looked into them once, but they don't come in micro sizes - they are typically about 3/4" in diameter. Depending on the switch, you may need a secondary relay circuit to convert the piezo switch output to a useable means of turning the LED circuit on.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus1977 View Post
    I totally agree with you but you have to admitt. It would be really really cool....
    No doubt about that!

Parks uses a touch sensitive switch on some of his sabers, it works good but you would have to build a guard around the touch plate to prevent accidental on/off.
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist

I know its not on the exact topic in question.....
    but what about having the bottom section of the saber turn slightly to activate. Kind of like a twist/on switch. You wouldn't accidentally turn it on, there would be no external switch, and it could be turned on and off rather smoothly I think.
    Just an idle thought late at night.
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

set-up your pommel or lower-half to use a rotary switch or something...

Default twist on

Well that could be done with MHS parts and say a MR board and a MR 3 AAA battery pack.
    take the terminal that the battery pack "plugs" into and secure it inside the hilt with screws then have the battery pack slide in and truly connects with the terminal when the pommel gets screwed down all the way. Also would need to place an O-ring on the male threaded part so it would not be loose. I'll try to get pics of one of my sbers that use a joe jedi board with something similar.
    Sorry forgot to mention you would need to leave the switch wires for the MR board soldered together.
    Last edited by fawnheart2000; 05-20-2008 at 05:55 AM. Reason: clearification