Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: resistor

Wait, whoa... You don't need a resistor with a Hasbro board??

I've got a "Sith" Hasbro board already in its film canister and ready to go, but I was under the impression that you still need the LED hooked to a resistor... Would it hurt anything if I still used one? I just don't want my LED burning out...

With a 2AA - 3AA setup, the Hasbro board can power a 1watt Star/o without a resistor. With a 4AA setup, it can power a Lux 3 without a resistor. The board itself already regulates the power since it's made to power a 1 watt lightbulb on 2C's.

I wouldn't really worry about burning out an LED. Even if you ran double the current and zapped 90% of the life away, you're still getting 10K hours of life, which is longer than EL.

The most important thing is proper heatsinking, which isn't a problem with Strydur's blade holder.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity

"With a 4AA setup, it can power a Lux 3 without a resistor."

I assume the same holds true for a 4AAA setup, since it's the same voltage, right?

Well that's cool. Less space taken up inside. And it saves me.. erm... about 80 cents.... well, every little bit counts! []

Thanks very much for the info.

<font color="red">edited..If you want to ask another store owner something about their site please e-mail them</font id="red">

what is heatsinking? is there a forum about this?

Zack

The Heatsink is built in to the bottom of the Emitter that Tim Sells and is really important due to how hot a Luxeon Gets. Here is the previous Post about this: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sa...p?TOPIC_ID=189

May the Force
    Be with You

Marc E.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by zack

what is heatsinking? is there a forum about this?

Zack
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Heatsinking is putting metal plates or fins (ever looked at your computers CPU? That big metal block on top is the heatsink) on something to give it extra surface area to disapate heat. Since Tim's holder is solid aluminum it works well for this. So you don't really need to worry about it for most applications.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Blog Entries

Has anyone actually measured volts and mili-amps coming out of the hasbro board when a 6v power source is applied to it. Basically, I want to know if the LED is being pushed to its true potential.

I was considering wiring the hasbro board parallel to the Lux 3 or even on an isolated circuit from the Lux. All I really want from it is the sound. The flash on clash and the flash on/off is way cheese IMHO.

speaking of hasbro boards, I was able to find ONE electronic lightsaber in Wal-wart - the $8 ones in the blister pack. It was on clearance for $4 []. I'm going to another Wal-wart today to see if they have any more...

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

http://www.geocities.com/projectstm/lightsaber.html