Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Different Blade Tubes

Default Different Blade Tubes

I just got my Luke ROTJ from ultra, and it comes with his "fiberoptic" blade. Now, if I bought Corbin style blade, would that fit?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The outer tubes should be the same. Ultra and Corbin have different types of film that go inside the polycarbonate tube.

Unless Ultra is reusing the original FX blades, then a thicker tube won't fit without some sanding.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The Luke comes with a metal holder and 1" blade by default. So you can buy the film or a complete blade here and it will still work.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    The Luke comes with a metal holder and 1" blade by default. So you can buy the film or a complete blade here and it will still work.
    cool. thanks! I just paid off my next semester about 2 hours ago, so I'll start saving up for the corbin!

Cael... yup, LED "saber blades" basically are composed of three major parts:

1. A polycarbonate tube. Technically, you can use almost any kind you like or can get your hands on. All depends on what you want.

2. A diffuser to "trap" the light (which goes INSIDE the polytube). This can be anything you like, from a more solid-feeling plastic tube to rolled up thin plastic films. You can experiment if you like.

3. A half-dome tip with a mirror material. The mirror helps reflect SOME of the light back down the tube a bit. It's not essential, but recommended, and easy to do.

In terms of lighting, the "best" tubes are the ones with the least inner diameter... since more light can be "shown" or seen in the tube. However, they are naturally weaker for combat.

If you have TOO thick of an inner wall (or use a 3/4" OD blade)... you will begin to lose overall lighting since much of the light cannot "travel up the tube" as easily.

Finally, the shorter your blade, the more even the lighting can be--to a point. However the diffuser type plays into this very very much.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Are there any good comparisons out there between the corbin vs ultra film?

here is my video of my saber with corbins film in it. i just compared my blade to a friends ultrasabers blade, and the only difference is that mine has a coring effect, and its IMO more even than ultras.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NZ-llmvukD4
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by arcana
    Are there any good comparisons out there between the corbin vs ultra film?
    Go to the thread index.

The comparison thread Gelu did will help. His PolyP film behaves just like Ultra's. IMO they are 180 degrees opposite.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

is there a way i can just buy the inner corbin tubing to get the inner glow effect, and insert it in my ultrasabers "fiber optic" blade? And if so, is there a tutorial on this board that teaches you how to insert film?

sorry for being a newb

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

corbins diffuser is also film. I don't know what the effect would be with 2 diff films.

BLUE 3- Ready