Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Saber Tip experiments for poly-tubes...

Normal 2:1 shrin ratio at around 1.5" will shrink down to 3/4" minimum so would be great for a 1" blade.

Something like this http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...lkey5174-11123 in 4ft lengths.

I buy it by the 25m reel as I use it to protect small pcb's so its even cheaper.
    Phil Higgins

X, I think we're agreed there... result we're looking for is the same--how to go about it slightly different.

Either way, I think it's worth a shot to try putting an end to all flying tips once and for all.

On a concept I listed above... any thoughts on a screw-on tip? Can you "thread" poly-c in that large a diameter? Would we run into the tip and blade still cracking because it would (again) allow for NO flexion at all up high for the tip?

The advantage there is that the mirror material could still be easily attached... in a more hollow/flexible tip I just don't know how it would happen...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Hockey pucks are made out of vulcanized rubber and are still fairly hard. Not sure if they would be flexible enough. I had an idea once that I thought might work but I never really got around to trying it. Basically you would have a shouldered tip like we normally use, with the exception that a groove would be cut into the shoulder. Then a matching groove would be machined in the polyc tube (assuming thick walled tubing). A small stainless steel spring "C" clip would then be set into the groove on the tip, compressed, and put into the tube. Once the grooves lined up, the "C" clip would expand into the groove in the tubing and lock the two pieces together. The tip would still be able to rotate but would be very hard to pull out. Not sure whether this would work or not since cutting a small groove in the polyc might weaken it, but it's an idea I thought might have some promise.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nova, If you could get a machine tip it'd work. They make taps for pipes... there REALLY expensive though.

I really like Ace's Idea too. I really think the key is making it so that it's hard to get off even without glue. Glue will fail at some point... otherwise we wouldn't still be trying for the perfect tips. :P
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Yeah my idea would be best without glue. My biggest concern would be the groove. If it could be done with a radius I think it might be possible since it eliminates the sharp corners that could be stress points. Possibly, what I am looking for is a .8" od diamter x .05" material diamter ring. It would need to be cut so it could forced into a .75" diamter circle. You would then have your tip with a .75" x .25" tall shoulder with a .05" deep groove in it. A .025" deep groove would need to be cut into the blade. When the ring is compressed into the groove on the tip, it should be flush with the shoulder. Now insert the tip into the blade and when the grooves line up, the ring will expand to it's original diameter and will have half of the ring inside the blade and half inside the tip. I think it would darn near impossible to get the tip out without breaking the tip or the blade. If you hit the blade hard enought to break it, you would have broken it no matter what kind of tip you had there. This is the only truely positive retention idea I can think of that might work. But I have to admit, the heat shrink sounds like a very interesting idea also. Perhaps glue the tip one like normal and then shrink the tubing over it. hopefully someone will experiment and let us know.

Neophyl and I will be trying the shrink tube experiment as far as I know.

As to machining, X-Wing, I really don't have the experience and although I MAY have access to some machines... I wouldn't know the first thing to do. I would prefer to leave that in the hands of those who know.

As it is... I'm STILL kicking myself for going through the learning process to build sabers. NOW LOOK WHERE THE EARTH IS, it's way way out there, and I've become a huge nerd like all y'all...

heheheheh

Triumph: "I KIIIIIIID, I KID.... yes, I am only joking... LED sabers are very cool..."

FOR ME TO POOP ONNNNN!!!!!!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

My thought is kinda the reverse...howzabout intead of the groove on the shouldered tip and c-clips we simply cut a groove [or maybe multiple grooves?] into the end inside of the poly-c blade then use flexible silicone/rubber shouldered-tips that are cast/moulded/machined with a 'ridge' [or several?] on the outside of the shoulder that would act kinda like 'o-rings' locking into the grooves in the end of the blade.

Does that make any sense?

It does... and yeah, I was thinking of silicone / vinyl / rubber tips for some time now... that's actually why I started the thread!

So, perfect! This is what it's all about! Good call Obi-Won-Kan...

Come to think of it, I think I know what you mean, so I'll post some possible diagrams of what I think COULD work...

I have no idea if this is even practical... but it sure beats the heck out of the tips flying all over the place.

Here's hopin' that Corbin & Tim get inspired and find some interesting "magical" way to cook something up. Then again... I think this WOULD require a special moulde...

SILICONE / RUBBER / VINYL

Thoughts, anyone? I'm sure others could come up with a WAAAAY better design.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

just a thought I've had. A solid piece of PolyC. no plug, not tip, just one piece.