Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Saber Tip experiments for poly-tubes...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

lol... dang this is simple, but I just realized that it has been discussed before and would be terribly simple.

With the extra long shouldered tips for thin walled blades there is enough there to use the same 4-40 screws we use on the heatsinks. For my nylon blade this would be especially great because once the head is cut... it would blend right in! Up close on a PolyC on it might be odd, but hey, I bet that would help the coming off.

I'm defiantly going to try this with my nylon batch tomorrow.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

X-wing, they make nylon set screws. theyre the same as the metal ones with a allen fitting in the end to screw them in and out.

then you wouldnt have to snip off any bolt heads flush.

i seen them in the hardware store, ACE to be exact.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I already have a ton of the same 4-40 screws Tim sells. It's not a big deal at all to snip the head off.

All I've seen at my stores anyways are nylon pan heads which do me no good.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar
    I think it would have to begin as a SOLID... then have a long hole bored out. VERY expensive, and not practical.

However... neato things could happen, as you could bore out a really well-machined "diffuser texture" inside the tube. Well... for thick-walled for certain. I don't know about thin-walled.

Anyhow. Pipedreams for now. Maybe later not so pipe-dreamy.
    Why would it HAVE to begin as a solid and be machined out...couldnt it be CAST in one-piece in a mould? Polycarbonate IS a kind of plastic afterall isnt it? I have an acrylic blade for my Randomsaber that is cast...and while it doesnt have a hole down the center that doesnt seem to be all that complicated a mould to make compared to say a fancy bullet mould...longer yes but not a terribly complex shape.

Then again...if you DID bore it out maybe you could put the kind of grooves around the inside of the bored hole [perhaps with a kind of very fast rifling button?] that would recreate the Corbin extend/retract effect as well?

I used this glue for my thin walled blades, I havent dualed with it yet but its made for gluing poly-c. So I think it pretty good. Just thought I'd share. I got it at O.S.H.

http://www.surehold.com/download.asp...le=302card.jpg

[EDIT] BTW that nylon screw Idea,......genius. I have to try that.
    "aaah... general kenobi.... you are a bold one."-general grievous

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qymaen_jai_sheelal

Proud owner of the first two Darth Maul conversion kits! Thanks Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi
    Why would it HAVE to begin as a solid and be machined out...couldnt it be CAST in one-piece in a mould? Polycarbonate IS a kind of plastic afterall isnt it? I have an acrylic blade for my Randomsaber that is cast...and while it doesnt have a hole down the center that doesnt seem to be all that complicated a mould to make compared to say a fancy bullet mould...longer yes but not a terribly complex shape.
    PC tubing isn't injection molded, it is Extruded. I honestly don't think there are too many clear inj. grade PC resins out there to even toy with that idea.

i think that Valeon may be on to something using silicone to solve the tip flexibility issue, apply a safe layer of the silicone and make a shock absorber while of course gluing down the tip. i personally have had no problem with my tips and im rough on my saber and all ive used is Gorilla glue.

"....you have failed me for the last time....."