Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: blade tip question

Just a question. If all the concern over tips flying off is over the shoulder that goes into the blade....why not just use the old hemi-sphere tips without the shoulder?...aside from the fact that there's less surface contact between the tip and the tube?....

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

The shoulder is what helps keep them from popping off.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by gundamaniac
    Just a question. If all the concern over tips flying off is over the shoulder that goes into the blade....why not just use the old hemi-sphere tips without the shoulder?...aside from the fact that there's less surface contact between the tip and the tube?....
    Because with no shoulder a healthy 10 year old could pop it off. You really have to work to take the tip off with a shoulder. Only through time or consistent use it comes off.

Really, I'm not worried... sucks to say it but people like Novastar need to cook their noodle if the want a better tip because for 90% of people the current shouldered ones work great. :P
    RED LEADER Standing by!

From my experiences, the thinwalled shouldered tips will fly off way easier then thickwalled ones.

I still haven't have a thickwall shouldered tip to fly off, and had several thinwalled ones do so: from my own construction and from ultrasabers ready-made blades.

I believe its caused by the thinwalled being able to flex more. I'd suggest having a deeper shoulder on the thinwalled blades.
    -Mars

Embrace the luxeon side of the Force... to bring light, into lightsabers

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

And a deeper shoulder is what we did.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I was about to say it, but Tim beat me to it. His shouldered tips for the thin-walls looks to be at least twice as deep as the thick-walled tips.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    Really, I'm not worried... sucks to say it but people like Novastar need to cook their noodle if the want a better tip because for 90% of people the current shouldered ones work great. :P
    I did indeed, X-wing... right now, it's called "clear packing tape", heheheh!!

I have tried some other methods, but until I perfect them, there is no use mentioning.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide